• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olive Oil & Beeswax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Ezra Jest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've noticed that some use olive oil & beeswax mixture as patch lube. My buddy & myself gave it a try,the mixture was equal amounts of oil & wax, in two rifles(.40 & .50) & a smooth bore(.62) Worked really good until it was time to clean them. It left a lot of residue in the barrel. Had an awful time getting them clean. Does anyone else have this problem? Would really like to use a patch lube that I make myself . I've had good luck with lard & beeswax but heard about oil & wax working very good. If anyone has any ideas about this, I would really appreciate it.

John Ezra

I have been using the BW/EVOO as bullet lube and patch lube for years without any cleaning problems. In fact, I think that it allows more shots between cleanings than any other lube I have used, especially for cast bullets in long barreled SASS rifles. The part I like is that I can adjust my mixtures for both the particular usage and for temperature. I use a higher % of BW when using it for bullet lube. For patches, I adjust the % based on temperature, anywhere from 20% BW up to 50% BW. A while ago on this forum, someone mentioned using peanut oil since its burning temperature is higher than EVOO. I am going to try some of it with my next batch.

If you mixed 50:50 it must have been really stiff lube.

I mix mine about 70:30 oil to wax for patches and about 60:40 for conicals.

I never have trouble cleaning after shooting.

HD

I use 3 parts oil to one part wax and it shoots/cleans like a dream.

I like a mixture of 50% beeswax, 25% hog lard, and 25% olive oil. I use this for patches in rifles, cushion wads in smooth bores, and as a chamber sealant in revolvers. I like the one fits all principle. I got better things to do than fool around with lubes. :wink:

I've been using bees wax/peanut oil for my hunting lube for give or take 40 years with no problems. Even have added a table spoon(per cup of lube mix) of DuraLube or STP engine treatment with no ill effects.

I use beeswax, deer tallow and Marvel Mystery Oil for patches and conicals with no problems...........the Marvel makes it smell good too!

Thanks for all the replies. Can't figure what I did wrong. The guns shot good. I shot my .40 at a shooting match using that mix. 17 shots & it was still going good. Maybe I need to give it another try.

John Ezra

I primarily use bear grease/beeswax mixture. However when I run out of bear grease I've substituted Carnola Oil and haven't noticed any difference, with little fouling with both lubes. With my smoothbore I don't wipe between shots and the barrel cleans up with about 3 patches soaked with a mixture of Murphys Oil Soap, alcohol and water.

I'm still really curious about your cleaning problems. Maybe more details could help us zero in on it.

What make of rifles are you using?

What powder?

What is your usual cleaning method?

I bet there's no two people on this thread who do everything the same way, so there should be lots of experience on hand. Maybe one of us can sort it out.

Brown Bear,
The two rifles have Green Mountain barrels. The smooth bore is a Jack Garner kit. Used warm water to clean. it left a dirty looking film on the patches. Almost looked like fouling. Usually 4 to 5 patches start to finish. This time it took 10 or more.

One good thing is that the mix sure does make a good wood & leather treatment. :)

Hmm... Got to try my hand at the Beeswax/EVOO. I did 50/50 maybe close to 55/45 oil to wax. Added a little bit more oil to make an even 4 ounces per batch. Might go back and add some more oil, but it worked as is. Shot about 15 rounds out of mine with only one spit patch somewhere in the mix to swab the bore. Had one shot that was stubborn but I just pulled the nipple and added a lil powder underneath, then it went boom.

Cleaning wasn't that bad. Took about 4 or 5 patches in the soapy water, used another to rinse with clean water and then maybe 4 to dry the bore. I don't count that as bad when I've had to use well over a dozen after a busy day with a centerfire.

Latest posts

Back