• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

On the outside chance....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poboy

40 Cal
Reaction score
I want to shoot some hogs here in Texas. I found an outfitter a couple of hours west of the Dallas/Worthless mexrtoplexe ( intentionally misspelled). Deal is: 2 hogs max, 2 day all-inclusive guided hunt....$450.

On the outside chance, anyone in a reasonably close distance have a similar inclination?

I know the odds may be slim, ( and I'm not talking about that specific hunt, I only mentioned it to show I'm serious. ) I'm considering sponsoring a buddy, but he wants to use a bow, which is fine, if he wanted to use a modern rifle, it wouldn't matter, but maybe, some one needs a pig herd thinned and has a better idea?

I want to shoot some hogs here in Texas. I found an outfitter a couple of hours west of the Dallas/Worthless mexrtoplexe ( intentionally misspelled). Deal is: 2 hogs max, 2 day all-inclusive guided hunt....$450.

On the outside chance, anyone in a reasonably close distance have a similar inclination?

I know the odds may be slim, ( and I'm not talking about that specific hunt, I only mentioned it to show I'm serious. ) I'm considering sponsoring a buddy, but he wants to use a bow, which is fine, if he wanted to use a modern rifle, it wouldn't matter, but maybe, some one needs a pig herd thinned and has a better idea?

Check out: https://texashuntingforum.com

Look under Guides/Outfitters

What you are paying for with the outfitter is room and board and someone to babysit you and your buddy. If the outfitter doesn't guarantee shots on hogs, there may not be many where you will hunt.

Try to find a place where you can kill a hog or two for $100/day with no R&B. Dress your own animal(s) and stay at a motel and eat at Taco Bell.

I have a few places where I spend my time in Texas. Some are "guaranteed" opportunity. What are your expectations? I'm a retired PH and had a ranch in TX for many years so I do have some connections.
There is a little known "issue" in Texas that a lot of ranches skirt around. If they give you lodging they are supposed to collect and pay hotel tax. If they give you food they are supposed to have a Food Establishment and Food Handlers license. The way I operated for 25 years was to charge for the "animal" and you could stay and eat for free. No separate charge for those amenities so they do not require interjection from authorities.
Also in Texas a credit card vendor may not charge the processing fee. It is either including in the whole price or they are breaking the law charging (for example) 3% credit card fee. My advise is to find a place that has a fixed all-inclusive fee and either will or will not take a charge card (not one that will take a CC and add a "fee"). Right off the bat a place that knows the rules of business shows more competency and transparency that one that is ignorant (intentionally or otherwise).
If you want a guaranteed opportunity where you can sit in a blind or spot and stalk then you are probably going to be on a smaller acreage with a low fence. In these places the hogs are sometimes "put" inside the area. There are also one-way corners and exit-traps that are used so a hog from outside can enter the low fence area but cannot exit.
Most larger acreage and no-fence areas will have to use a blind and feeder to get the hogs to come out in daylight and present an opportunity.
None of these methods is a total "gimmee". You still have to use the wind, stay concealed and quiet, limit movement and make a good shot with the right equipment.
I'm hosting a "Close-Range" hunt March 11-12 on my old ranch near San Antonio. This is for archery including crossbows and muzzleloaders. There are some hogs but it is not a guaranteed hunt because I don't run feeders. You are welcome to come check it out and there are a lot of other opportunities for exotics as we are going to take some axis does, blackbuck does, rams, goats, bison, water buffalo, scimitar horned oryx and aoudad on this hunt.
You may PM me if you want any specific information or a referral for a hog hunt or if you want to join us in March.

The most informative post I have seen concerning hunting in Texas with Guides or Outfitters.

Latest posts

Back