• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One caliber for hunting Whitetail deer...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
If you could only pick one caliber muzzleloader for hunting whitetails, what would it be?

Though I said 54cal., all I that I have ever taken deer with, is my 50cal. I could have easily voted either 50 or 54cal. I can argue it either way. Now I am talking for a dedicated deer gun, that I am not worried about using for anything else. I know I am waiting to see all the posts about if they went elk, bear or hog hunting, but I am thinking what the post said and that is for deer hunting. Heck, I could be happy as a clam with a 45cal. That was considered real deer medicine in the 70's. The 50 was virtually considered over kill and then they all came out with 54 and 58cal. Maybe my next year I will be hunting with my 62 cal. and I will think all deer guns have to be 62cal.:idunno:

I voted for the .58 simply because if, and only if, I could only have one rifle, the .58 is a do every thing gun for me, from rabbits to bison. :thumbsup:

I've used .50, .54 and .66 successfully. (The latter a smoothbore). I like the .54 but the .50 does well also and probably a .58 wouldn't be overkill. I load kind of conservatively (85 gr FFFg in the .54) and that probably makes as much differance as a few thousanths of an inch change in diameter.

It is amazing that a .54 ball has 27% more mass than a .50 round ball.

It is amazing that a .54 ball has 27% more mass than a .50 round ball.

That's the real gist of it; mass = momentum and momentum = penetration.

I voted for the .58 simply because if, and only if, I could only have one rifle, the .58 is a do every thing gun for me, from rabbits to bison

But, that was not the poll question. :( Question was:

If you could only pick one caliber muzzleloader for hunting whitetails, what would it be?

I hunt big game almost exclusively with a .54. But, to answer the poll question accurately, the answer for me is .50. It's adequate, cheaper to shoot, less recoil, etc. If I had a personal history of slaying deer with a .45 and had the great results with it that others seem to have, then it would be .45. But, it's not legal here so therefore I have no experience with it on deer. Yes, technically it is legal here but must be loaded with a minimum 170 grain projectile and that outlaws the round ball in a .45.

Dave K said:
"...I am waiting to see all the posts about if they went elk, bear or hog hunting, but I am thinking what the post said and that is for deer hunting..."

When you're right, you're right !! I intentionally went to lengths to precisely word this...not only about deer, but about Whitetail deer in particular.
:grin:

Guess I could rename it to be "if you could only have one caliber muzzleloader, what would it be"...but sure as I did somebody would still ask do you mean for squirrels or deer? Its really a lesson for all of us, myself included, that we someimes just do not take the time to fully grasp what's being asked or said...

No sweat, we all do it from time to time...it's just hard to get good poll results on a question like this for example, about what would emerge as folks general choice for a whitetail caliber, if the repsonses are influenced by choosing a calber based upon hunting other than whitetails.

I also choose the .58cal which at close ranges could be viewed as overkill, but from my point of view, I chose it as my final, single, Flintlock deer rifle for all possible whitetail deer hunting situations I might encounter...to ensure I'd have all energy I'd need if presented with longer than normal shots, etc.

the longest shot I can remember taking a deer with was 40 ish yards .

at that range most calabres would work...I just like the way my 12 bore gun carries and packs a punch

I'm surprised that ..."none of the above" isn't listed as an option, considering....Fred

In hind sight I should have added that so folks could at least then see the poll results...this polling stuff is a 'work in progress'... :grin: ...meanwhile, here's a snapshot of the results to date:

Results for poll: If you could only pick one caliber for hunting Whitetail deer, what would you pick ?

.32 0 (0 %)
.36 0 (0 %)
.40 0 (0 %)
.45 5 (14 %)
.50 9 (25 %)
.54 17 (48 %)
.58 3 (8. %)
.62 0 (0 %)
.72 1 (2. %)

Anyone can view the results without voting by clicking on the "View Results" link which is visible just above the "Submit Vote" line.

BTW, my vote is .54 because that's all I have ever used on deer and have had great results with it.

It may not be an accurate caliber poll but it tells a whole lot about members reading comprehension. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :surrender:

Yeah, 54 caliber. I have a flintlock and percussion rifle I use for deer hunting, so I guess my vote goes for ................. uhmm, 54

I don't hunt whitetails so I did not vote, I think some would be surprised to see the results if the same poll was in 1975.

I clicked 40 because my 40 flint is my designated deer gun. Somewhere around 28 to 30 deer with that rifle, whitetails and 6 mulies.
Mule deer are uncommon enough that I actually remember how many of them I have shot with that rifle.
I take out the bigger stuff if I am after elk.

tg said:
I don't hunt whitetails so I did not vote, I think some would be surprised to see the results if the same poll was in 1975.

Yah BUT would they be surprised if it was taken in 1326? :blah:

In this state 45 was the minimum allowed.
So I build mine a 45, would have preferred a 40.

Last year they lowed the minimum to 40.

Im keeping my 45

Back