• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Dumb Hunter!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose Guide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought a 28 guage monkey gun for plinking and having fun! One day I saw a flock of starlings in the back yard and decided to thin them out! Instead of using my powder measure, I used a little spoon I got with the gun. The spoon looked to hold about 10 grs. and so I put three down the tube, followed by about 10 or 12 .177 cal. pellets. Looking at the large flock of starlings, I felt that a little more lead was called for and added 4 or 5 .440 lead balls followed by some wadding!!! Caping the gun, I took careful aim and touched off my starling load! The gun gave a mighty roar, belching smoke and fire, and the recoil was horrendous! When the smoke cleared I measured how much powder that little spoon held, 27, a full dram x 3!!! I had put 81 grains of powder in a gun that probably shouldn't shoot more than 40, and almost 1000 grains of lead!! The result was one lesson learned without damage to me or my gun(or any starlings either)!!!!!

A lesson learned to share with others. Glad you were able to report this, instead of hearing about it on the News reports.

Back