• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Sad Coyote

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesteday it was 22 in the morning, did not even set the alarm.

Forecast this morning was 35 with rapid warming, cold front is backing up big time, high predicted was 55.

It was about time to leave the blind and I looked out the east window. Something is hobbling down the road towards me.

It looked like the ugliest coyote that I have ever seen. Head on it does not really like a coyote and it has a weird gate.

I looked a bit more and the thing has very little hair which is somewhat patchey and when it turns sideways, it is missing it's back left leg up to knee.

It comes closer and it's definitely a coyote and most of the hair has fallen off it.

I am not sure if the hair loss was manage (?) or rabies.

What I have learned this year is that a 54 stoked up to deer size critters, sure is hard on coyotes and the 54 does not leave much fur on the offshore side. It is effective though.

RDE

I like spankin a coyote from time to time myself.

Had one at 93 yards the other day and couldn't get a clear shot at him.

He'l be around agian.

Great JoB!

HH

Mange is probably what it had.
Hope you didn't get too close to it. :shocked2:
Caused by Mites and Highly contagious to other canines and sometimes humans. Tough to diagnose and cure.

Had one come through the other night whos tail looked like it was skinned. Hung straight down and looked just like it would when you take the hide off of one. I'm sure it had skin on it but sure didn't look like it. The rest of him was fine, nice thick coat of hair on him. Just a very strange tail.

Richard Eames said:
What I have learned this year is that a 54 stoked up to deer size critters, sure is hard on coyotes and the 54 does not leave much fur on the offshore side. It is effective though.

RDE

Yep, I killed a few with a .40 and that was hard on them. I imagine the .54 was decisive.

keep up the good work.

Mighta been onea them there Chupacabras. :shocked2:

:haha:

Sounds like you did him a favor to me.

We have them here in NC as well...guys on a NC hunting website I frequent post from time to time about popping one, but for the life of me in all these years of hunting I've never seen one...stand hunting, still hunting, treestands, ground blinds, ladder stands, etc...lived and hunted NC for almost 30 years...never seen one

Sounds like the .54 was a much more merciful end than this winter would have been.

Lead can be one of the most humane medicines out there sometimes. You did the right thing and put that hurting old yote down.

I've never seen one...stand hunting, still hunting, treestands, ground blinds, ladder stands, etc...lived and hunted NC for almost 30 years...never seen one

I live in a cookie cutter subdivision on the nw corner of the Denver area and we have quite a few of them around. It's not uncommon to hear them sounding off beyond the limits of the subdivision and one morning at about 3 am I saw some trotting down the street.

They are hard on the local pets too. They will "call" to a dog and even act injured to lure him close and then the pack jumps him for dinner!

I live in a fairly large city in central IL. I've seen them running the streets right in the middle of town. They raid the garbage late at night.

See them fairly often while hunting or driving around in the country. Many a night you can hear them barking at the moon on your way back to the truck after an evening hunt. Gutpiles don't last long and I'd hate to have to leave a deer overnight.

Twice I've caught coyotes stalking me. Once was a lone coyote. He ran away as soon as I looked at him, but he had sneaked up to about 20 feet behind me. By the way he acted, I don't think he knew he was sneaking up on a human. I figger he heard me rustling the leaves and thought I was a squirrel.
The other time was a pack. I was bowhunting from a deadfall when I noticed the coyotes. Two were watching from across a ravine to my left while one snuck in from my right and 2 more tried to come up behind me. They left when I stood up and walked toward them but they didn't leave in a hurry and it sure made me nervous.:shocked2: I only had 3 arrows! :wink:

roundball said:
but for the life of me in all these years of hunting I've never seen one...stand hunting, still hunting, treestands, ground blinds, ladder stands, etc...lived and hunted NC for almost 30 years...never seen one

Believe me, they been seein you. :shocked2: :haha:

Just saw one two days ago inside a fenced-in cemetary--SW suburbs of Chicago

Back