• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ontario Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not the best photo but it was the end to a dry spell as I did not get a bird last year due to my back problems.
It is about an 18 pound jake.
90gr of FFFG and 1.5 oz of #5 shot.
He was shot at a touch over 30 yards.
38 inch Colerain turkey choke barrel is awsome!

My partner and I set up on a BIG tom and 4 hens but two Jakes came in from about 6-800 yards away. Not even in the same little woodlot that we were set up in. I was happy to shoot him and now I am going to try for something bigger.

Pat Cameron

DSC00019.jpg

Congratulations on the end of your dry spell. I will always love jakes. I remember in great detail the first turkey I ever had come to my calling, Two jakes were 250 yards away, and when I gave my first ever series of plain yelps they both turned and ran toward me as if I had strings on them. They both ran right up to my decoy and I killed my first ever turkey on my own. Never say bad things about jakes! :haha:

Spence

Sweet! Hope to get one with my new 16 ga. fowler I recently built. I used a colrain 44" fowler barrel with the stock open choke. Shots a nice pattern of 1 5/8 oz. of #6s out to 30 yards. Good Job! :hatsoff:

I think there's an old saying:
"a Jake in the sights is worth 2 Toms in the bush"...or something like that...Congratulations !
:thumbsup:

Skychief,
In Ontario we are allowed two birds. One per day, two bird limit per season.

PJC

Excellent shooting. Normally when I envision Ontario I do not think of turkey but of moose and bear. The region you hunt in must be unique and rewarding in many ways.

nice bird and gun Pat :hatsoff: ...were you in the Waterloo area still?

Yes, Still in that area. This bird was just north of Fergus.
My brother is visiting from New Brunswick.
Had him out hunting Turkey after the bird in this photo. It was a damp, windy, rainy day so we had to resort to the Ithica 12ga. He ended up shooting a Jake. He had a decoy in front of him and I was calling 7-8 yards behind him. We had three Jakes between him and me. Two jakes and a hen in front of him. He ended up shooting one of the jakes and his first turkey ever.
We were out bow hunting turkey today as we can not hunt with a long gun on Sundays. Just archery. I called in a nice Tom to 20 yards but we could not put it together and the Tom got away with just an education. Tomorrow is the last day of his visit. It is suppose to rain all day. We'll see what the morning brings.

PJC

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good luck the rest of your season.Oh'yes,congrats on the jake.Griz

Back