• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening day deer season for me yesterday...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Opening day ML in the Central Zone of NC yesterday, I figured with bucks cruising for does-in-heat this week, the cost of gas, etc, I decided to make an all day stand of it yesterday...instead of hunting first light til 10:30, driving home, taking a nap, and driving back to hunt from 3:00pm to dark. (PS: 11.5 hours in one spot is a long day, but that little camp chair I got for turkey hunting made all the difference in the world...I was actually comfortable all day...going to do it again tomorrow).

Anyhow, I'm sitting down in a bottom where a trail crosses a drainage ditch...have taken deer there before...heard shooting on farms all around me the first hour but didn't see a hair where I was. At 1:00pm a weird looking spike came wandering along the trail...one spike on the left side maybe 7-8" tall...and THREE spikes growing up out of the right side pedicle...looked like a star-burst when the USAF T-birds go straight up then curve away from each other.

At 1:30 I hear scratching commotion coming through the leaves behind me and its 7-8 Toms and Jakes...a couple of the tom's beards were very long, and one of them looked like it might have had two beards side by side...not one above the other but side by side. Seemed like an abnormally thick wide attachment point on his chest and could barely see that it looked like two sources but bunched against each other...came within 20 yards of my natural blind and never knew I was there...just passed on through out of sight.

At about 4:00pm, I hear that same commotion coming up behind me again but this time its all hens and poults...looked like 2 adult hens and several poults that at first glance you'd think were grown hens until one of the hens came into view...a couple of the poults passed within just 4-5 steps of my boots...one of them stopped and eyed me...made a couple of half hearted putts, then went back to scratching along with the others.

At 5:00pm I saw the largest, most magnificent 8-10 pointer of my life...the top half of all his tines glowed white in the dusky low light, about 50 yards away but not on the trail that crosses the ditch...he was very, very cautiously stepping along parallel with the other side of the ditch...kept thinking he'd eventually cross over into more open area but he never did and then I lost sight of him...magnificent buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
:haha: Well I got on stand at 5:30 am and had two come by me at 5:40 am. Not sure but Probably was the pair of this years twins which I see a lot lately. Not sure but I may have napped sometime between after sun up and a little after 4:00 pm when the twins came by again. At which point I shot them both several times over without ever cocking the gun. They have no idea how lucky they are. :haha: Legal time was over at 5:05 here and I came in. Getting in, grabbing something to eat, I look over at my monitor and out walks a small forkhorn followed by an 8 point into my field at 5:35. :rotf: :surrender:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a great day anyhow you slice it. Hope you get a crack at that buck.

Nothing like seeing a good buck on opening day,Lets you know you have done your homework. I'm looking forward to getting back up home & gettin' after em' myself. Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Hunted a different spot today sunup to sundown, let a young 4 pointer walk by at 7:30am...didn't see anything else...the good news is there's no muzzleloader to clean tonight.
And I'm wore out...this all-day-hunting stuff is for young people... :grin:

Rule number one:

OldGuys.jpg

Ain't nuthin better than experience.

At 7:30 this morning I had a small to medium 6-8 point come through the hardwoods chasing a doe at about 100 mph...then saw a couple big does right at dark.

I'm itching to makes sparks on a deer...I've sat in the cold and stayed quiet for 33 hours now in hopes of getting a good rack in my sights...but I think starting tomorrow I may invoke the "if its brown its down" style of hunting :grin: .

(Of course, having said that, now I won't see a doe until January!)

Roundball, I hope you get the big one. Our firearms season for NY southern zone starts this Saturday. Ive already killed a 5pt buck with the bow so Id really like to try to fill some doe tags or my buck tag with a big one. They are out there. The owner of the pro shop where I get my archery stuff killed a 10 pointer that scored 154 about 2 weeks ago. The body was so large they couldn't weigh it properly because the scale wasn't high enough off the ground and the deer's body was partially on the ground skewing the reading. I saw it and it had to be well over 200-220 lbs dressed out. That would put its live weight around 260 -275. He was a brute. Ive only seen 1 deer with a bigger body in 35 years deer hunting.

Back