• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opening day squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longfowler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
today was the first day of NH squirrel season! I went out for a couple of hours before work, hoping to scout out a nice tree for our bow opener comming up in 2 weeks, but got distracted by this guy. I never got around to picking out a tree...I stalked this one for almost 40 mins, and I'm very proud to say I dropped him with one shot. Even with 2 barrels, I stalked & waited for the perfect oppurtunity at 25 yards, since this gun has no chokes. I still hit him real good, when I skinned him I found 10 pellets! the load was 60 grs of 1f, a circle fly fiber wad & 90 grs of #5 shot. knowing my limitaions of range & power really made for an exciting hunt, what a rush! way more fun than wackin' them at 40-50 yds with a cartridge gun!I'm planning on doing ALL my hunting with black powder this year.

And, in case your'e wondering, the fine print on my t-shirt says: "PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS" !!!!

003.jpg

:thumbsup: With all that joy and happiness in your heart that morning, did you remember to go to work :shocked2:.Real nice look'n smoothbore. Thanks for the pic. Get a couple more and I'll get the frypan hot :shake: :shake: Vern

After seeing all these pictures of the season's first squirrels, I'm going to be sorely dissapointed if I don't have a picture to add to the fray.

Nice job staying on that squirrel. I once spent about that much time on just one squirrel trying to get close enough for a shot. Feels good if and when you pull it off. Also, welcome to the BP only hunters club. It really does make the experience more satisfying, eh?

Back