• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening morning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took about 1-1/2 hours of calling and waiting, and in that time i had a red fox come into me, when he caught my scent he high tailed it right in the direction I had been hearing the bird, waited some then gave a few putts he lights up. I'm in the woods about 40 yards from a train track, sure enough, here comes a train, after the ground stops vibrating I give a few more quiet squeals and putts, he comes in finally cautious and quiet. Took him at 20 yards, he's a jake, but I worked for him.
DSCN0199.jpg

The gun is a 16Ga., the calls are made from left over maple gun stock wood, I used both of them this morning.

Sweet, sweet work. I'm hoping to be ready for next fall with a fowler too. :hatsoff:

Congrats! :hatsoff: good job! musta been alot nicer at yer place than mine this morn!,,boy that is nice work,,the jake ,the calls an the gun :shocked2: ..is there a rear site on that?? see what looks like a brass jaegar site?? :hmm: impressive! all of it! :bow:

T
RC said:
Congrats! :hatsoff: good job! musta been alot nicer at yer place than mine this morn!,,boy that is nice work,,the jake ,the calls an the gun :shocked2: ..is there a rear site on that?? see what looks like a brass jaegar site?? :hmm: impressive! all of it! :bow:
RC, Beautiful morning here, overcast, made for perfect shooting light. My son just called from up around Welleslly Island, said it was pouring rain, managed to bag a dandy longbeard anyway, using an osage orange call I made him. Yes that is a rear sight, and yes it is sold under the description "Jaeger" sight, I need all the help I can get :grin:. That sight is as shiny as the day I put it on, Afraid to do anything artificial to Knock down the shine, had such good luck with it, changing might bring on bad juju :shocked2: . Thanks!
Robby

Congrats! sounded like a fun hunt,great looking bag,calls :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: and gun....I'm Jealous!!!!!!!!

Nice bird! The ones you have to work for are always best remembered. This morning, I was set up just off a back country road working a gobbler, waiting for him to come to the open field his group usually frequents when a guy in a pickup drove by my set up. He got between me and the gobbler, shot some 10 minutes later, and drove away about 5 minutes after that. I assume he got the bird. Even through I didn't get the bird, I'll remember this hunt.

That is a BEAUTIFUL fowling piece (nice turkey, calls, and bag, too!). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What kind of barrel, load, etc?

opening day for me began with a fire
i got to my hunting area and a fire was beginning to spread. I got it out but if i had been a few minutes later...
second day i was out someone shot the vird i was talking to
yesterday i mised a jake

sorry bout the hi jack
nice story
love the gun and calls

Dixie Flinter said:
That is a BEAUTIFUL fowling piece (nice turkey, calls, and bag, too!). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What kind of barrel, load, etc?
Dixie Flinter, The lock is a Davis "Twigg", the barrel is a Colrain. It is in 16Ga., 42" lg., hook breeched, the load is 85 gr.'s, 2f, one 1/8" over powder wad, 3/16"thk. cushion wad lubed with canola or olive oil, A mix of #4 and#6 shot, approx. 1-3/4 oz., held in a shot cup, made from 3x5 index cards, purchased at any drug store, wrapped to almost exactly two layers thick and crimped at the bottom (this holds it closed), one over shot card. This is the best combination I have found for this gun, It "consistently" patterns very well out to 40 yards and will penetrate one side of a coffee can at that range. I plan on jug choking another 16Ga. that I made, as soon as I find time to make the tool for that operation. The gun shown I will leave the way it is, It throws a pretty good round ball and I don't want to take the chance jug choking might alter that. Thanks!!
Robby

Latest posts

Back