• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinion on maple stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"You never know what you're going to get with iron nitrate / AF...". Heard that many times. First time I got an unusual outcome. I liked the way the right side of the stock turned out:
IMG_a.jpg

But the cheek side! Wow what a confused grain pattern - totally different from the other side. Extreme "chatoyance" affect - see the circled areas. Looks like a dark splotch, but rotate your viewing angle and it turns into a blond streak, halfway in between it has 3d effect:
IMG_b1.jpg
IMG_c1.jpg

Cloudy day, so effect is more subdued. Would be interested in opinions on this piece of wood.

Typical effect of AF showing off the figure. That 3D effect is seldom achieved by common stain, the darkness is controlled by how and how much you apply it. Nice wood.

typical of Maple, cherry, ash etc. walnut most the time stains true.
i am working on a piece of Maple currently that if the chisel work is an indication, the grain reverses every 2 inches! with wood you takes what you gets!
many times the change up in finish is due to a slightly different amount of sanding.
long winded way of saying, that's a nice piece of wood.

I lightly cut the dark spot, and it makes the light lighter and the dark darker LOL. That's enough, I'm going with it like it is.

Wife looked and saw the dark streak, then I rotated it and she saw the black turn blond, and she was like "Whut? Weird."

Back