• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions sought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on two rifles if you please. First, the Hopkins and Allan under hammer rifles and the Mowry Ethan Allen rifles. How do they perform and are they pre-1840 correct?

Thanks

The underhammer rifles were developed in New England in the 1830's and some folks swear by them for accuracy and durability, The Ethan Allen / Allen Thurber rifles were first made in the late 1830's so both guns will somewhat fit the pre-1840 theme though some particular models may have been made later, a little research may be in order here if you want to dial things in super fine.I had an Allen Thurber and it was an excellant offhand gun, the lock mechanism is simplicity to the extreme, both guns would probably be good choices for the late (pre-1840) period.

They say under-hammer muzzleloading rifles are one of the best choices to use in wet (mostly rain) hunting conditions, I believe they have the least misfires of all the cap locks.

I take the Mowry Ethan Allen rifle for my own personal choice...

I also like side locks, the ol' mule's ear...

my 2 cents worth.
grin.gif

Latest posts

Back