• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

our muzzleloader deer season starts today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here in Texas our muzzleloading season started today. ive got my eyes set on a buck a nice 13 point who has been around our place the last 4 years. that's the only deer im interested in. However ill be heading to my big boar spot and hunt from dark until I get tired or shoot one of the 3 big boars that's coming in. I sat in one of our blinds yester and had 2 nice shooter bucks come in to the feeder pens. ill carry my flintlock for the deer then when I go to our south property ill take my white mountain carbine .54 loaded with 90 gr 2F and the no excuse 535 gr bullet. good luck to all whoever is still hunting.

Feeder pens?
if you don't put feeder pens up in this part of Texas you wont have deer. the hogs will run the deer completely out of the area. nearly everyone who has deer in east texas puts feeder pens up to keep. as stated if you don't have feeder pens where im at there wont be deer. the hogs have taken over private land public land and the national forrest. the hogs will literally beat deer to any tree that's dropping acorns. my property is thickets of east texas along with the neches river to the south boundry with numerous creeks. wild hog is king here

Because Alabama legalized baiting this year, my feed store guy says people here are making feeder pens now. They take hog panels and make a fence around the bait. The deer will jump the fence.
This year our deer season runs from 11-14-19 to 2-10-20. All the does you can kill and 3 bucks. Bows(they get an additional month before gun season) plus any centerfire rilfe and muzzleloaders (.40cal. and up). Hogs all year long. We have plenty of hunting.

Last edited:
Because Alabama legalized baiting this year, my feed store guy says people here are making feeder pens now. They take hog panels and make a fence around the bait. The deer will jump the fence.
This year our deer season runs from 11-14-19 to 2-10-20. All the does you can kill and 3 bucks. Bows(they get an additional month before gun season) plus any centerfire rilfe and muzzleloaders (.40cal. and up). Hogs all year long. We have plenty of hunting.
Yes sir exactly that's why we do it. W he you hunt the forest most of the hunters are illegally baiting and I t draws the hogs in our land is bordered on 3 s sides by WMA property in the last 5 year's the hogs have quadrupled. We put our pens up 2 years ago. Occasionally a big boar will jump in the pen and that's where I come in after r3 nights of pigs getting in I hunt them at night

Daylight gun hunting will never remove the hogs. They are almost as hard to gun hunt as deer. Helicopter shooting will work for large scale eradication in the short term, but they can repopulate quickly.

Sometimes when I read the hog hunting stories, I wish we had some up here to hunt....but then....NOT! What a disaster. Sounds like they need a bounty on them. Shoot 'em and donate to the food bank. Hungry people in the US and so much pork running around it's a problem. Doesn't make much sense.
I offered to supply a food bank fresh prepped rabbit. Can't they said, it's the rules :doh:

I've been hunting them for 35 years been a guide close to 20 years.. What most people fail to realize is how intelligent they are. In many studies pigs are either 3rd or 4th most intelligent among humans and animals. Humans first primates second then either pig or dolphin. They are omnivores meaning they can eat anything from plants to animals and caution including eating other pigs their nose is the best ears are among the best and sight is way better then given credit. They have no known predators in Texas
They can adapt to any climate urban and suburban. The only requirement is water. It's pretty easy to kill sounders of hogs and young hogs but a mature 7 yr old boar is among the hardest to hunt. I've killed bear elk deer turkey among many other critters but a 7 yr old boar is tough. I've got several big boars that's duped me from a year to 2 years. Around here it is rare to see a hog in daylight hours
Even in the helicopter hunts pigs are getting smarter they lay up in thickets and don't move. You can still catch some in traps usually pigs 100 and and other. We have buying stations in Texas that buy the pigs but it's a total rip off. You get 05 cents a bound up to 80 lbs 10 cents a lb plus a head bonus from 80 to 100 I'll post the prices not worth the corn or fuel or the expense of traps. In the early 2000s I was getting 1.00 a pound any size hog selling them to game ranches. Texas came down on some tough rulings so me and alot of people shut there traps and sold out. Sunset commission came down with the law it is illegal to move live swine anywhere except place of slaughter or to buying stations. When the buying stations opened up the came up with these prices. A monopoly was created as 2 meat packing plants beltre x and southern wild game bought the pigs and sold the meat over seas for 28.00 a pound. Now one company is closed as they sold out of date wild hog meat the other is struggling because they can't produce fast enough. Since 2005 our hog population has quadrupled
FB_IMG_1578361312238.jpg

Hi Howie, I haven't seen any deer in a couple of weeks and been about that long since I saw any hogs.
I have plenty of feed out for them, but apparently they have an ample supply elsewhere.
All I get to see is one old racoon swing by in the early evening...
I figure they will start showing up in about two weeks... You know, right after season closes.
It is a good thing the pigs haven't figured out that they are still a target.
Sam A.

Latest posts

Back