• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Overnight loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandan027

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This weekend's elk hunt is rapidly approaching. A guy at a local muzzleloading shop mentioned that it would be a good idea to leave my rifle(if loaded, no cap of course)outside overnight so no condensation forms in the barrel that might compromise my powder charge by going from heated inside to outdoors. That makes sense to me. Of course that assumes I don't get a shot on Saturday and there's no opportunity to discharge the rifle and reload in the morning. Which brings up my second question. Would you leave the rifle outside unloaded the night before for the same reason?

I do that. Idea is to avoid extreme and rapid temp changes. My rifle stays loaded till it's shot at game, big or small. Initial load is into a DRY OIL FREE BORE!!!! NO SNAPPING OF CAPS!!!!

I think you might have that backwards;
Condensation forms when the gun is cold then moved to a warm/moist inside.
One year I loaded my rifle in November took care to leave it outside in a locked "dry" garage.
It fired with the first cap when I shot it in January.
If your "camping" and it's left outside all bet's are off.
If your concerned about how you'll be able to care for the rifle, get a CO2 discharger or practice pulling the load with a rod and ball pulling adapter

I have done this with no problems if the weather is fair not to much difference in temps from daytime to night time just check the seating of your round the next morning with a good tamp of your rod, however if there is a great deal of difference between temps such as going from warm indoors to very cold outdoors you can still have condensation and this may and can cause a miss fire or hangfire been there done that.

What he said! :thumbsup: . And use a grease type lube like Tracks Mink Oil. Do not leave it loaded if you use a liquid lube.

I unloaded a rifle I picked up at a yard sale it was a tc hawken. It had been loaded for over 20 years. I took off the nipple cleaned it and put a little 4 f under it. Laid it in a tire and fired it with a long string . Mostly because I did not know what it was loaded with. It went boom with a cloud of black smoke. It had been loaded with a dirty bore with pyrodex. There was no rifling left and the barrel was trash. I parted it out .

All that input is greatly appreciated. I'll load Saturday, when we get to our "jumping off point". If I don't get a shot and can't discharge the gun, I'll leave it loaded outside over night. I forgot to mention that I'll be shooting Hornady Great Plains bullets so I don't believe lube contaminating the power will be any sort of problem. Ant mor ideas? Keep 'em coming.

What others have said. Key is a clean rifle. I use carburetor cleaner to completely degrease after normal cleaning. A loaded but unprimed rifle can be brought indoors or left in truck. No problem.
BTW, I do swab the bore AFTER loading with WD-40 as a moisture protection. Have left as long as two years that way with no problems.

It's clean. I shot yesterday evening, just to make sure it was dialed in. It is clean. Previously after cleaning I've never had a FTF/hangfire on my first shot. If the past is any indication of the future..... we're all screwed (hahaha) The WD is an interesting idea.

I've never tried the wd after the load trick. My only concern would be that since it was not sighted in that way it might effect your POI.

Where are you headed? I have no ML elk tag this year but have two ML deer tags, one for 38 and one for 18-181-28-37-371. Will probably hunt that last one in 28.

I have the same concern re the WD. I'm not going to d oit this trip, but I will try in the future.
We drew area 500/501. Jefferson area up Boreas Pass. The place is thick with elk. My buddy drew a bull tag, I drew a cow. We didn't get our deer tags this year. This will be my first BP hunt and I'm pretty excited. I was shooting 85grs of FFFg Goex behing 385gr. Hornady Great Plains bullets yesterday. four shots touching at 50yds with a supported forend, around 4" @ 100. Now I have to do my part. Good luck filling your tags.

Ill leave mine loaded all year coming from hot to cold doesn't hurt anything but cold to hot can iv never had a problem with it and thats going for 60/70 inside to 90/110 outside but I can see where it would come into play.

I just shot one last Saturday that had been loaded since November :doh: :doh: hot and cold.
That fired fine!When you load MAKE SURE TO SNAP A CAP BEFORE LOADING point it in a safe direction also.
Nit Wit
NW

500/501 should be a good hunt. Seems it's hard to draw deer in there anymore.

good luck. Will be watching for a report.

It should be, there are plenty of elk in that area.
I'll post a report when the hunt's over.
Thanks and good luck with your deer hunt.

Last year My Sears 50 cal slept in the truck 5 nights in a row, with the same load, never pulled, shot, or reloaded,went off like a dream, :( not in an elk but all the same she worked fine.

I did put a new thick dry patch over the nipple each night.

advice :idunno: after 4 days of seeing 0 elk sign, still carry your rifle. Or like me you will see elk when you rifle is 1/2 mile away :redface:

Sean,
Thanks. The patch over the nipple is a great idea.
My strategy is this:
1)cradle rifle in arm
2)unzip pants
3)prepare to take a leak
4)see elk and catch them unawares (turn about is fair play)
5)Take nice close broadside shot.

Latest posts

Back