• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oversize patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJMarkey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If you are not cutting your patches at the muzzle, here is something to try. Using the recommended diameter patch is fine if you get them centered on the bore perfectly. A little off center and you get gas leakage that blows apart the patch.

On my rifles I use the next size up for patch, for example in my 50 cal. I use patches for a 60 to 69 Cal. and in my .36 cal I use a 40 to 49 cal patch. The advantage is, if the patch is slightly off centered on the bore like happens, it still seals very well.

Try it you'll like it.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that an oversized patch may "catch" on your jag when loading if it sticks up to far. :idunno:

MJMarkey said:
If you are not cutting your patches at the muzzle, here is something to try. Using the recommended diameter patch is fine if you get them centered on the bore perfectly. A little off center and you get gas leakage that blows apart the patch.

On my rifles I use the next size up for patch, for example in my 50 cal. I use patches for a 60 to 69 Cal. and in my .36 cal I use a 40 to 49 cal patch. The advantage is, if the patch is slightly off centered on the bore like happens, it still seals very well.

Try it you'll like it.

I agree. I've been using larger patches on my 50 caliber for months now. Easy loading & as you say”¦if it's not centered correctly, it still goes down the barrel if all sides are covered.

I have a question”¦..what household products ( or any combo of products ) can be used to "soak" patches that are drying out? I'm not into looking for bear/meek or any other animal oils to use. I'm not one of those PETA wackos”¦.I just like to shoot with moist patches for easier loading without the hassles.

I've been searching the website with little success”¦.any ideas? Thanks in advance”¦”¦”¦.see ya yard hunter

Try olive oil or Crisco vegetable shortening. My lube is a mixture of these and beeswax. Works great.

edit to add: I've used plain olive oil for lubing wads in my smoothbore with good success to.

Most times I use spit for lube. Wets the patch and clears the fouling. I also like to use "Hoppes No 9 Plus" It's really slick. I would only use a grease such as olive oil, Crisco, etc if I was hunting, where the ball and patch were going to be in the barrel for a prolonged time. Greases don't seem to clear the fouling for many repeated loads, a few shots but more than that you will likely need to swab the bore.

After religiously punching out my patches so that they are nice and round (being a newbie that's what I thought had to be done) I thought about it and decided to just cut square ones (much easier to cut out). They seem to work fine, they're pretty easy to centre and the spent patches look good.

The rifle doesn't seem to care either :) .

One little caution when using oversize patches and square patches. If you have a cleaning jag on your ramrod you could catch the patch and draw the ball out or partly our when retrieving the ramrod. Simple solution is remove the jag. Be safe not sorry.

Back