• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ozark mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzelloader69

32 Cal.
Reaction score
can any one tell me about the maker ozark mountain. the rifle i seen for sale at a local gun shop is a percusion rifle , similar to a cva mountain rifle , pewter cap , double wedges , the only markings are 54 cal . on the barrel , any help would be great . thanks .

This is out of an old Shooters Bible. Itis a CVA. Supposed to have a chrome bore on the premeir grade Ozark Mountian Rifle. Appears to be a premeir grade version of the Mountain rifle. Never seen one, but it might be a nice catch.

Calibers: 50 and 54 percussion
Barrel length: 32: octagonal (15/16' across flats); with hooked breech for easy takedown and cleaning
Rifling: 1 turn in 66" (8lands and deep grooves)
Overall length: 48"
Weight: 9 lbs.
Sights: German silver lade front; screw adjustable ramp rear
Stock: Select hardwood
Finish: Pewter nose cap, trigger guard and butt plate
Lock: Plate is color casehardened and engraved; internal features include bridle, fly, screw-adjustable sear engagement, V-type mainspring
Accessories: Stainless steel nipple, hardwood ramrod with aluminum tips
Also available: Standard model (not chromed) with select finished hardwood stock and low cheekpiece in 50 or 54 caliber $306.95

Sounds much like their Mountain Rifle. Some of those old catalogues were pretty far off when it came to accurate listings. Even the Shooters Bible and Gun Digest will show guns that are no longer available.

the ozark mountain rifle, is nothing to do with cva,they where a semi custom gun made by ozark mountain arms in branson mo 65616 heres a pic of there muskrat rifle 40cal as per sam fadala's black powder loading
manual.
bernie :thumbsup:
IMG_0002-5.jpg

IMG_0001-6.jpg

is this rifle made in the usa or spain, also the gun shop wants $150.00 for it , is this a good deal on this firearm .

If it is in any kind of shape, I would be very tempted. Not many of the replica's had the long barrel shown in that ad. I paid that much for my 36 bobcat!
I have been looking for a richland arms "Wesson Rifle" at a decent price for a long time. That is the first time i have seen the actual address of the company. Most comfortable stock I ever handled. The gun was not that good, but the balance was very nice.

This "Q" kind of got me too. The only Ozark rifle's I could think of is those and it was years ago, and a semi custom at the time.( they have ad's in old MB for 3 or 4 rifles even a decent Haken I think they built.) Fred :hatsoff:

If it's made in Spain and has no patchbox, I'm betting it would be the CVA Big Boar Mountain Rifle. Just like the regular one without the patchbox. $150 would be a very good deal if it's in the shape you describe. How about some pix?

no pics yet , you'll have to wait for next week , i put a 50.00 deposit on it , and i'll pay it off next week , i didn't want to be strapped for cash over the weekend , i have one of those cva big bore rifles , why did they not put a patchbox on them . i put my own on , also this rifle i'm picking up next week doesn't have a patchbox either .

The CVA version is shown in the #82 Shooters Bible. It is a Mountain rifle except it is called Premier grade and supposedly has a chrome lined bore. I would assume that included real maple or walnut also.
The guns in the ad posted earlier I am not familiar with. It shows a 36 inch barrel on that gun. The Penn rifle is the only CVA that long, if it is that long. There were a few such companies making semi custom guns here in Mo. years back.
In either case, in good condition, for 150$, you jump with both feet. I don't know which I would prefer. A presentation grade Mountain rifle, or a semi custom small shop gun of good quality. I will buy a truck load of either in good shape at 150$ each! I have never seen a premier grade Mountain rifle with a chrome lined bore, and I have been shooting CVA guns for a long time. The small shop gun is a 700$ minimum today to get anything at all. A nice Pedersoli will cost you that or close also. 150$ for either one in good shape is a no brainer.

my cva mountain big bore rifle has chrome barrel liner , no patchbox , but i installed one anyway , the rifle i was looking at has no chrome liner , no patchbox , the only markings on that barrel are the serial number and 54. when i was looking at the gun i asked if the guy showing me the rifle could take the wedges out and look at the bottom of the barrel , but he didn't no to much about it and i said forget it , for 150.00 i'll take the gun and remove the wedges myself at home to see if anymore markings on it , i'll keep you all posted on this .

I have one. I bought it at Log Cabin Supply in the 1980. It is a flintlock. 54 GMt barrel,Davis lock and triggers all iron mounted.I-70 twist. A real shooter. They was 550.00 in the white and 750.00 finished. Curly maple stock.Best rust finish I have seen to date. Fast lock, I shot a kitchen match in a shoot.Weights about 9lbs and has 34 inch barrel. The touchole don't come out, and is small,roller frizen. Dilly

I tryed to find the different ones they made but Ive put away the MB's from 60s and 70s in the 80s box I found ads till 86 for Hawken and really Great looking Hawkens at that. At sometime they made a move from Ash Ark to Branson Mo in this time frame 81 to 86. Ive seen one and it was a really nice rifle on par with or better than my TOW/ Curley Maple Sante Fe from 85. Fred :hatsoff: Now ...what rifle does he have ? If it was CVA it would say so on barrel right?

If you got a Ozark Mountain Hawken for 150 your a Bandit :rotf: Pics please as soon as you know. Fred :hatsoff:

i'm going to pick up the rifle during the middle of the week , the only markins on the barrel , without taking it out of the stock is 54. and the serial # , i'll check the rest out when i get it . i asked the guy who is the maker and he said it was ozark , i'll check it out all later when i pick it up for $150.00

Back