• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

P1853 Enfield questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cessnapilot89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The muzzleloading bug bit me hard. I just put a deposit down on an P1853 Enfield, dated 1871. I was wondering, how hard is it to work in the Enfield locks? Also, where does one find percussion caps these days?

Thanks,

Cody

Work in the locks? Tune them!? Sure you won't have to if that's what you mean on an old milsurp gun but no harder than other big locks.

Caps are at bigger and specialty gun shops and big-box outdoor chains usually.

Percussion cap sources? Try a local Cabelas or Gander Mountain. Shipping $$$ can be massive if you buy on-line.

Cessnapilot89 said:
Hi Guys,

The muzzleloading bug bit me hard. I just put a deposit down on an P1853 Enfield, dated 1871. I was wondering, how hard is it to work in the Enfield locks? Also, where does one find percussion caps these days?

Thanks,

Cody

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers and I'm certainly not an Enfield expert, but are you sure its a P53? I believe production stopped in 1867.
The 1871 stamp makes me more curious. Are you sure it's not a .577 Snider conversion?

Duane

Hi,

Sorry I got the locks confused between the Snider I looked at and the enfield. The P1853 is dated 1862. Apparently the hammer notches are a little weak.

Cessnapilot89 said:
Hi,

Sorry I got the locks confused between the Snider I looked at and the enfield. The P1853 is dated 1862. Apparently the hammer notches are a little weak.

If you need a tumbler you can get one at www.lodgewood.com.

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:
Lodgewood can also re-work the lock for you using your existing parts if the tumbler isn't too bad.
lodgewood.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the help! I do greatly appreciate it. Looks like I know where I am sending my lock off too.

Maybe you know this but you asked about percussion caps and I didn't see any mention all of the rifled muskets use "Musket caps".

The #10 and #11 percussion caps that are pretty easy to find won't begin to fit the nipple.

You can try calling around to the local gun stores.

Some of the modern muzzleloaders we don't discuss on the forum use Musket caps so some of the gun stores might carry them.

No pictures as of yet. Will have some soon!

Are there any books recommended for these and for the sniders?

:v I think TRESCO makes a nipple that allows the use of #11 caps instead of the much larger Musket cap. The GUN WORKS in Springfield Oregon may have them. :v

Latest posts

Back