• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA EARLY SEASON RESULTS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5347

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The results are in for my 5 days of hunting in PA. this year total deer seen was 7 in the woods, set the hammer twice to fire.I past on 2 small does one on Monday at 11:AM 50 yards @ the other on Thurday at 10:AM
I was hunting in Monroe County and took a shot in Gouldsboro State Park on Thursday ( The Deer are small maybe 60 lbs with a good rain storm).
I can say I did not see 1 deer taken in the early season and the hunters were out there in Monroe County

My son and I hunted WMU 2G in Tioga Co. for four days. We each saw bucks on Saturday (and, one was a dandy). On Monday, I took a mature doe with my .54 cal. Yorktown made by Brad Emig. My son missed a doe but killed a nice beech tree on Tuesday. We saw deer every day and seemed to have Tioga State Forest land to ourselves. We also saw a black bear, a coyote, turkeys, grouse, a gazillion squirrels, and a porcupine. Next year, my grandson will join us, to make it three generations of flintlock shooters. I can't wait! :)

I hunted 3 days at Hickory Run SP, saw 4 deer, only by hiking through the woods. Talked with a park ranger and he said the deer herd there was way down. Saw a lot of turkeys though. And 1 p.o'd. bear. He had got himself caught in a trap as a nuisance bear in a camping area. The ranger said I could take a look at him with a flashlight through the vent holes. He was right, the bear was pretty "feisty". :haha:

My neighbor took one Sat morning. Had to walk in the rain. Too bad he was using 'the muzzleloader we can't mention here...' WMU 3D, DMAP 34 Del State Forest.

He shot my flint later, missed the target.

My friend Bob and I hunted all but Tues and Sat. I was carrying a Renegade flinter and he was using one o' them durn In$%&*@!! There are very few hunters in the woods. My objective was to see Bob get his first deer. Knowing that we wouldn't see any if we both sat, I found him a good spot and then tried to run some past him. I saw some deer, but not many. I'd jump them and see tails. Later, he'd hear them in the brush.

Friday, I kicked out a group of four, which headed straight towards him. I sat down on a stump and waited. BOOM! I waited another half hour in case they doubled back. Then I figured I'd better get up there before he mad a mess trying to gut his first kill. (Love the guy, he's been my best friend for 50 years, but he hasn't a clue!) When I got there, he was drinking a cup of coffee. I said "Where is it?" He pointed to a spot about 40 yards away and said, "Four of them walked thru there. Don't know what happened, but I missed." (Again!)

Later that evening over beers, I accused him of being a closet bunny-hugger (maybe even an infiltrator from PETA) who fires warning shots at Bambi to let her know she is in grave danger.

We've still got the regular gun season and almost the same game plan (I'll still carry the Renegade and he'll have his 7mm mag). I figure that if I run enough deer past him, he'll eventually hit one! I'd let him chase for me, but I'm afraid he'd get lost!

Jimbo

Hunted in 2-D. Saw three bucks, none would have been legal in the regular season, and one little button buck which I passed on. Did'nt see any does and did'nt hear of any being gotten.

im in 1A
saw a bunch the first day but passed cuz they were too nice lookin to shoot.... i know...

and then saw 3 doe on sat but they were behind me so i settled for just lookin since they woulda spotted me if i would have moved.

all i wanted was to see a few anyhow. ill keep that tag for later in the year. i think ill just go for a doe in regular season and use the reg tag for another doe in flinty season.

glad to hear that some of u have the restraint to pass on the button buck! :)

Had a good week in the woods. All I saw was two dandy bucks and a whole bunch of deer shaped objects walking by me in the bright moonlight before dawn,on several mornings. My best hunting locations are all crack of dawn type spots so the moon phase really did me in. I still really enjoyed my vacation wandering and loitering around the local woodlots with my flintlock. BJH

WMU 3D, DMAP 34 Del State Forest

hey i hunt there also....and have some DMAP tags too.......bob

My user is my Campsite number, Family started the lease in 1928 so I've been hunting there on & off for 40 years. There are stil DMAP tags avaliable...And I have (2) doe tags for 3D Too. :thumbsup:

Hey:
Seen a couple, no shootin. Here in 4b area, deer on
non-posted land are few and far between.
Bill

A good friend of mine had been saving up all summer to buy his first muzzleloader. Due to some expensive repairs on his truck he wasn't able to make the purchase. I still urged him to buy his muzzleloader license and I taught him how to shoot mine. Since I was unable to hunt on opening day, I let him use my rifle. At around 12:30 he saw two antlerless deer, he shot the larger of the two, thinking it was the mother of the smaller deer. At the shot the deer traveled about 75 yards and died. When he came upon the deer he discovered it was a large button buck. It was bittersweet, his first muzzleloader kill, but a button buck. I used the rifle the following monday and ended up seeing two bucks. My friend having an antlerless tag for another WMU used my rifle on Thursday and shot a real doe this time. In the three years that I have owned this rifle, a T.C. Renegade flinter in .54 caliber, it has accounted for four deer. Needless to say, I am pleased with the gun. BTW the load I am shooting is a .535 PRB(.020 cotton patch) over 100 grains of Goex FFg, using Hoppes #9 Blackpowder Solvent as a patch lube

Latest posts

Back