• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pacific 12 Bore Under Hammer Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Was in a small gun shop in Texas and saw a ML on the top row of guns. It had exceptional wood and bluing..

It was a Pacific 12 Bore (yes bore and not gauge), under hammer. As above it has exceptional wood and metal wood was nicely finished.. The hammer has a safety position.

I have never seen Pacific under hammers discussed here, only on the Under Hammer Society Blog Sire.

Anyone know how to convert 12 bore to caliber and what size ball it would shoot?

I saw it a couple of months ago and was told it was a 50 caliber and went to buy it today. Being a 12 bore I left it, sure had a big hole in the end of the barrel.

These are cool rifles that are known as Zephyr. The 12b takes 250 grains of powder and launches a .71 caliber ball at 1900 FPS (they are .72 caliber). The rifling is 1:104. Where is this rifle and how much? I want it if you don't!

Thanks for the info. Zephyr sounds familiar nofw.

250 powder, ouch

Read you mail.

I built a 12 bore, .73 caliber, rifle with an Oregon barrel on a Pete Allen action. Where the 250 gr charge came from is someone's nightmare. At 100-125grs of 2f it has enough steam to take out anything you can hit. 250 grs may be someone's proof load but unless you're shooting a 1 2-15 pound rifle you better be pretty damn stout.

I shoot 100 grains of 2f in my Pedersoli double .72 and that has enough steam to quench my thirst, and can't imagine a 250 grain charge.
And "NO" I have not tried touching off both barrels at the same time. For those who would like to know!
By the way those Pacific rifles were a real work of art.
If you are young enough, and the price is affordable, it is a rare find.
It really is a "MAN"S" rifle.

I shoot 100 grains of 2f in my Pedersoli double .72 and that has enough steam to quench my thirst, and can't imagine a 250 grain charge.
And "NO" I have not tried touching off both barrels at the same time. For those who would like to know!
By the way those Pacific rifles were a real work of art.
If you are young enough, and the price is affordable, it is a rare find.
It really is a "MAN"S" rifle.

What size ball for a 12 bore, .73 caliber?

Now that I know what is a realistic powder charge is, I may have to make another road trip to get it.

You might be to large. I would suggest you slug the barrel or at least measure at the muzzle. I'm thinking .710 or .715 with an .015 or .018 patch.

You might be to large. I would suggest you slug the barrel or at least measure at the muzzle. I'm thinking .710 or .715 with an .015 or .018 patch.

Thanks just going by what the guys said in the shop.

Will have them mike it.

Latest posts

Back