• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paints for camp fixtures and furniture?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bark-eater

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm going to be making a bunch of camp fixtures and furniture out of wood, starting with tent poles, a couple chests/crates and at least some sort of chair. I'm kind of inclined to shmunder all the wood with linseed and bees wax finish, which is a more civilized alternative to the WD40 and motor oil finish all my wooden toolboxes got when in service.

I've seen a reference stating that tent poles should be painted, and I've seen camps and pictures of camps where all the wood is painted, some times everything is one color, some times there are all sorts of colors.

So I was wondering what kind of paint would be practical for knockabout gear? The colors I see are in the colonial milk paint pallet, but milk paint is kind of expensive, and for outside woodwork needs to rely on a layer of was over the paint to ad a bit of moisture resistance.

I've got a gallon of red oil based barn paint, that I was going to try on canvas. Any reason not to use this on everything?

One thing I want to make is a painted ground cloth for the tent. This I will use latex paint on, just because of fire safety. I think it would be ok for all the wood work, but I'm do associate latex paint with bad paint jobs that peels off in sheets.

So I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for functional period wood finished. Thanks Woody

Back