• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Palmetto Arms 1855 Springfield pistol carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnnHntr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with Palmetto Arms Products, especially their reproduction 1855 Springfield pistol carbine? If so, can you comment on the quality of what you have or have seen? I am looking at purchasing a reproduction 1855 Springfield pistol carbine made by them, but only have the on-line pictures for reference, so it is hard to tell quality.

good idea to go to the Dixie Gun Works cite and read the reviews on the 1855 pistol carbine. Its a bit hard to find but the name you gave it might work. One guy said his functioned very well but complained about some aspects of details or fit and finish. One guy said the stock would not fit.

The gun is made by Palmetto - a company that seems to bend over backwards to deliver low quality products to the consumer.

I can't speak for the quality of the product, but from the photos I've seen, it's not a reproduction of the 1855 at all. The real 1855 had a Maynard tape primer and the hammer to go around it. The "reproduction" made by Palmetto looks like a pistol version of a Zouave rifle, with the s-curved hammer and bolster set into the side of the barrel with no tape primer. The rest of the furniture doesn't match either.

If you're looking for a faithful reproduction of the 1855 pistol carbine, I suppose the Rifle Shoppe is your only hope. If you want something that's "pretty close" from 100 yards, the Palmetto offering may be enough.

I second tmdreb's observations. This gun was made years ago by Zoli, the first company that made the Zouave repros. They have taken the Zouave lock and barrel and installed it on a pistol frame with stock and hardware that is similar to the model 1855 pistol carbine. It looks like it would be fun to shoot, but I can see no advantage in it. It would be to powerfull to shoot comfortably as a pistol, but would not have the power or accuracy of a true carbine. This might be why the Army only made them a couple of years and then dropped the idea.

Back