• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan Prime for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbletn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in hunters choice between 3 or 4 F for your pan prime... Thanks

I've used both in the past.
Since I have a full pound of 4F left, I continue using it.
Seems to be a little faster lock time when I use 4F.

Keeping it simple, I use whatever is in my horn. That's 3f with a lot of my guns, 2f with some, and even 1f in my Bess. I'm not good enough to notice any difference in lock time. I do notice that in our wet climate the 4f needs changing a whole lot more. With the wind, it's also pretty hard to get 4f into the pan on worst days, no matter how I try to shield it. Less an issue with 3f, and even less with 2 or 1.

Try what you have, and make adjustments if you don't like what's happening.

IMO, it depends on what you're after...if you just want any old powder to prime with, maybe out of the same source as your main powder charge, then just use that approach.

But for me, the speed of lock time is everything in a Flintlock, and we know that optimizing multiple elements of a lock's operation add up to collectively increasing the overall speed of ignition.

Just like a properly tuned lock, and having smooth low friction internals in a lock, and using very sharp black english flints contribute to faster lock time, we also know that 4F priming powder is faster than a larger granulation...it's why 4F is made / sold as priming powder.

So with best possible lock time speed as my goal I prime with 4F, along with using sharp black english flints...same as I try to ensure all other lock operation related activities are geared towards best possible speed.

Great reply, thanks for the information. That all makes good since to me. I guess tuning my locks are another issue! They seem fine and function well, but you have me thinking... I too want all my guns working at their peak. After all the time to build I want top performance when I pull the trigger!

I use 4Fg because that is my preference. I won't argue with the 3Fg guys if that is their preference.
I check frequently to keep the powder even in the bottom of the pan and to make sure it is still there.

I live in dry country CO I use very fast Null B.
at AMM shoots I prime out of my fffg horn.

at shoots an such i use 4ffff........hunting I use 3fff,,, 4 f draws moisture in the woods,,but change load from 3fff to 2 ff for huntin..same reason..can make for long hangfire lol

I use 4F in the woods and everywhere. The powder itself doesn't draw moisture; fouling in the pan IS WHAT draws moisture. If your unfired rifle pan is wet it's because water found it's way into the pan regardless of what prime you use. I've hunted in the rain using 4F and the prime was still bone dry when I went home. If you use 3F, that's okay because it works just fine. I use 4F out of habit.

Black powder fouling IS hygroscopic; black powder is not to any particular degree. If bp gets wet then, no, it won't work very well :grin: . But don't expect the UNBURNED POWDER to suck up moisture from the humid atmosphere like silica gel. The gun can get wet/sweat/etc, and contaminate the prime but that's about the only. I've hunted and shot too many times in rain and ultra high humidity with no problem to believe in the "water sucking" ability of good black powder. Check the chemistry.

Here in Texas there are times in November (deer season) that we have fog and mist for days at a time. I start with a clean pan and yet every two or three hours I have to blow the powder out , wipe the pan and re-prime. I have only used 4F but it sure gets damp. It has never dawned on me that 3F might not be as bad. I just may try it. In the evening when we shoot the ignition is much slower so I assume that the moisture is creeping down the flash channel as well. Geo. T.

Yes, there's no question that 4F attracts / absorbs moisture via high humidity...visibly starts to skin over / cake up after 45-60 minutes sitting in periods of high humidity here in NC.
I refresh it often under those conditions too, and don't mind doing it because I like the performance...it's just part of managing my Flintlocks while I'm out hunting as far as I'm concerned.
And as a result I've never, ever had a misfire / delay fire from using 4F out hunting...

I have an abundant supply of 4f so I use it most often at the range & out hunting - well, hunting when it's not too humid out. If it's humid, 3f... it doesn't gum up in the pan quite as quickly as 4f.

Back