• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky Johnson

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a fowler from Tip Curtis in 62 cal. I prim it with 3 gr. of fff. Would 4f be faster ignition.Shot some squirrels with it but need to work with it more before hunting deer. Will use it for rabbits after deer season.Rocky

The dif. of 3f to 4f in a flashpan in time is a few Hundredths of a second & is not noticable to a human, tho some thing to think they can tell it, I think they imagine it. Usually it is lock timing, fouling or fuse delay that maked them think it is dif. Most likely if you want to improve ignition timing on the fouler you will need to do a vent mod & cone the vent on the inside & outside if it is removable & enlarge the vent hole dia to 5/64" (#2 Centerdrill), keeping a straight wall in between the inside & outside cone of about .025 to .030" to prevent burnout. That done & a good flint & 1/2 a pan of powder & that baby will really do it's thing. You gotta get to Shebang, not whoosh----bang.
If you need an instruction sheet on how to mod the vent, send me an email & I will mail you the info. It is too long to email & about a 5 page article.

Tip makes a nice gun & I stop there about every 2-3 months & hand pick all my parts for my rifles from hi usually. He has a smorgasborg of gun parts & 3 mil. $ in parts there. Him & his wife are really nice people.

Have fun !!

[email protected]

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Knives

I think the speed difference between FFFg and FFFFg is really hard to notice to any degree, what is more prominent is the fact that FFFFg will draw moisture faster than FFFg will.

So, there would be a greater chance of a miss-fire with FFFFg.

The grain size of FFFg is larger than FFFFg, so there is less chance of the priming charge blowing out of the pan too, once the frizzen is opened.

quote:Originally posted by musketman:
I think the speed difference between FFFg and FFFFg is really hard to notice to any degree, what is more prominent is the fact that FFFFg will draw moisture faster than FFFg will.

I agree. I always use 3F in my pan and never had a problem with it. I think the lock condition and timing, and the vent liner construction is more important. A venthole liner with a coneshaped touchhole will provide a great improvement in ignition timing.

Hi everyone. I know what you all are saying about the diff. between 3f and 4f for priming but I had a guy who makes flintlock rifles tell me that I should crush my priming powder as fine as I could to get a good white hot flame for fast ignission. Has anybody done this? Dennis.

I started out using FFFFg to prime, and it's so fast I'm afraid to change anything!!
I'm going to have to try 3F as prime some weekend at the range just to see how it does

I Have not been able to detect any difference in ignition between 3f and 4f, one horn makes life a lot simpler also,and the 3f works much better in wet/damp weather, if one chooses to crush powder to dust, be carefull, friction and pressure could cause a case of premature ignition which could be dangerous, I cannot believe there is really much to gain by doing this unless maybe when shooting over a bench rest with fine target sights.

I stopped using FFFFg as a priming powder. I found it doesn't work as well when it is cold and snowy outside - I have heard that it collects moisture more readily and that could be the reason. On my fusil I use the same FFg to prime with that I use for the main charge. They didn't carry priming powder in the F&I and Revolutionary wars. They dripped the same powder out of the paper squib after biting the end off (and they primed first - which is a bad idea except in time of war).

Thanks to all. Birddog6 you are right about Mr. Curtis being a nice guy he spent a lot of time telling me how to finish my flower and how to change the vent liner if I chose to. He comes to the living history show in Kalamzoo with his wares. Rocky

Course you gotta realize that down here in 'zonie air aint enouf water in tha air to drown a knat whan I say I'm a liken the speed the 4Fg lites off in tha pan.
I used 3Fg fur awhile an' had som slo flashes with it before I bought a pound of the 4Fg.
Course one reason Ahm gonna stick with it is what am I gonna use all o that 4F for if'n I dont keep on a burnin it in the pan? (Now ye jus quit thinnin o somtin ats a gonna burn the hair offen my areas what aint got much hair to burn).
Tha bottom line (little pun there) is iffen ye live whar its dry Im a thinnen its a little better.
smile.gif

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
I used 3Fg fur awhile an' had som slo flashes with it before I bought a pound of the 4Fg.You could mix 3Fg and 4Fg together, this should give you 3 1/2Fg, right?
rolleyes.gif

This way it's not speeding, but not a slow poke too...
grin.gif

Latest posts

Back