• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper patching mini for muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool link...

I was trying to find out what type of paper they used, I guessing a thin parchment.
I could be wrong...
rolleyes.gif

In the book: "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle" by: Ned H. Roberts, He states that they used an OILED BOND PAPER around .002 of an inch thick.

The Sharps Buffalo rifle bullets were (and still are) paper patched, but this was the first time I read about minie balls being patched with anything.

The old muzzleloading Lewis and Billinghurst match rifles used oiled bond paper patched bullets too, but the patch was a cross (+) shape and the bullet was placed in the center of the cross. The legs of the cross folded along the shank of the bullet during the loading process to form the patch.

These paper patched bullets were first aligned and loaded into a false muzzle, then fitted over the bore and rammed down onto the powder charge.

Latest posts

Back