• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper shot cups & Post-it cups?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can someone point me to the tutorial on paper shot cup and post-it shot cup "roll your own"? I have searched 'till I can search no more. :surrender:
Thanks

Here's my 2004 write-up...its a combination of tips and comments others have given me, plus a few bits of my own windage as I experimented through it all.
===========================================================
With ideas from other posters and articles over the years, I experimented around and settled on the following approach for making some paper shot cups for longer range tighter pattern shot loads in a .62cal/.20ga smoothbore:

1. Post-it note papers with their particular thickness and self-adhering edge worked best;

2. I used a 6" long piece of 1/2" dowel with about 7 wraps of thick clear scotch packing tape around it to produce a paper cup diameter that is CLOSE BUT NOT TOUCHING the sides of a .62cal bore;

3. I roll / wrap the entire post-it note around the dowel on a hard flat surface starting with the dry edge so the tacky edge comes last and is used to stick it to the rolled paper, holding it together;

4. The size of the dowel needs to be built up enough so a post-it note stops short enough of going completely around twice so there is still a narrow (1/8"-1/4" wide) strip of single thickness paper which aids in bursting at set-back time;

5. Then I slide the tube off the dowel about 1/2" and fold in the end of the tube as you would a coin wrapper;

6. While still on the dowel, press the folds hard down onto a hard surface to crease the folds good and tight;

7. I pull the paper tube the rest of the way off the dowel...at this point it will be too long to use;

8. Measure the amount of shot you plan to use and pour it into the shot cup;

9. Mark the paper NO TALLER than the height of the shot you just poured in;

10. Pour out the shot and use scissors to cut off the excess paper at the mark;

11. Pour the shot back into the cup to test it...the paper should not extend above the shot;

12. The resultant cup diameter is a close to friction fit in the bore, with about .020" clearance around the tube;

13. The shot cup protects & holds the shot charge together until the instant it leaves the bore;

14. Upon exiting the bore, the paper opens and disintegrates, fluttering to the ground 5-10 feet from the muzzle;

Back