• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA's Muzzleloader Doe Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Aldridge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It's coming up this Saturday, I can't wait. My freezer is empty. I'll be using my TC .54 Renegade. Hopefully I'll make smoke and when it clears I'll have venison.

So I wish you many Waidmanns Heil that the freezer will get full.

Regards

Kirrmeister

It's gonna be a damp raing one.Rain suits and the Porta-a-roof for sure.I'm using the TC Seneca 45 with maxis just to say I killed one with a maxi.After that its the Lyman 45 and RB's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my flintlock out for its first deer hunt today (my first muzzleloader deer hunt too). I saw two deer in the woods at about 75 yards, but I could not ID it as an antler-less deer until it spooked. So, I decided not shoot at a running deer, but at least I saw deer!

I hunted Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday. Haven't had a clean shot at a doe yet. Had plenty of bucks come within range, including a little 5pt at 15 yards.

Saturdays forecast was 6" of snow. Turned into a snow rain mix all day. I was so soaked I had to call it a day around 2. Had to pull my ball that night.

Still a few more days left. Good Luck.

So far all I have seen during the early season has been tree rats, LOTS of turkeys and today's topper...a large bobcat. Too bad I didn't have a bobcat permit would have been a nice trophy sized cat. My son did get a nice doe with his bow last week, right after he shot it a large 10pt walked by. He was so shocked at it being so close after all the noise from the doe crahing through the trees that he didn't even pick up his bow for a shot.

It is part of Pa's plan to reduce its doe herd. The early season may come to an end in a couple of years.

The early season would be great, if you could shoot a buck. I can't get too excited about shooting a doe before the antlered season.

I guess I'm just old fashioned, spent too many years hunting Pa. when you could only shoot a doe if you didn't fill your tag in buck season. Old habits are hard to break!

rf50cal said:
The early season would be great, if you could shoot a buck. I can't get too excited about shooting a doe before the antlered season.

Ditto, I didn't even bother to go.
Now, if you could shoot bucks during the early m/l season I'd take my vacation & hunt every day.
:hmm: The ideal early muzzleloader season would be flintlocks only & bucks only! :thumbsup:

I wish you the best of luck. My Dad and I were talking the other day about a trip somewhere next year. I made the comment about a week of Penn Archery and a week of the early antlerless muzzleloader.

Stumpkiller said:
How do you guys rate an early m/l season?

As stated, it's a deer reduction season. All types of ML's are permitted. There are even three days alloted for jr's, sr's, and military to hunt with centerfire rifles.

I wish Illinois did things like that to reduce deer instead of making January gun seasons and late January bow seasons. Not that many people are going to hunt then. We need a ml season before bow season.

Back