• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B. Hennessy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Who makes there own?

I use some made of bees wax and peanut oil
1 part beeswax
3 parts peanut oil
Melt together then pour into tins of you choice let them harden and away you go.

Who gave ye my secret recipie?
Peanut oil good choice. Very slickery and has high burn temp resistance.
My other is beeswax and sperm whale oil. Bought the whale when it was legal. Almost gone, peanut very good alternative.

Put me in the "made his own Stumpkiller's Moose Juice." box.

I do my shooting at a range so I wet each patch just before loading.

I use spit at the range and TOTW mink oil when hunting. One less thing to bring to the range.

I started out with mixing the remainder of a tube of Bore Butter with beeswax, then adding olive oil and more beeswax to get the consistency that I wanted and replace what I had used. I don't know how this lube would work in the cold temps of the winter as we don't really have those kind of conditions here in South Texas but during the summer is doesn't get runny like straight BB did. A couple of folks I know prefer a Ballistol/water mix as a dry lube for their shooting patches but I can't stand the smell.

Klondike's recipe looks pretty good to me. I make my own and it is very similar to Klondike's mixture.

I use bee's wax (melted) and Crisco Oil in a mixture and let it harden, but the slight warmth of my fingers cause it to get very soft and easily "spreadable".

I really don't know the ratio of bee's wax to oil... I just kept adding the Crisco Oil to the bee's wax once the bee's wax has melted and then let it cool and checked it's solidity.

When I had added enough oil that the mixture is no longer a liquid once it has cooled and has formed a bit of a "crust" on it's top solid, but the "crust" is not too hard. That's "it"... and a little bee's wax goes a long way.

Actually, the mixture under the thin crust which forms is soft already, but it isn't "liquid-y"... just soft enough to spread easily once the warmth of your fingers touches it.

It seems to lubricate and shoot very well and my patches look good, but then I am also using a vegetable fiber over-powder wad .060" thick which tends to protect the cloth patch covering the rifle ball I use in my three .50 caliber rifles, a Traditions flintlock "Shenandoah" (33½ inch barrel with a 1:66 twist) and 2 older CVA caplock Hawken rifles... both with 1:48 twists, one with a 28" barrel (7½ lbs) I use for target shooting and one with a 24" barrel I use as my deer hunting rifle which weighs only 6.75 lbs.

All three rifles seem to shoot very well with this bee's wax/Crisco Oil lube which I spread on the patch/cloth liberally.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I really don't know the ratio of bee's wax to oil

I don't have a numerical formula either.
I mix add oil until the cooled mix forms a cake about like a bar of soap. This is poured in small storage containers from Wal-Mart. I use by spreading out my (washed) patch cloth and rubbing the lube on one side. That saves lube and is all that is needed.

I really don't know which is the best because all the “Mine is the best” concoctions, no matter how silly they my sound, WORK! So does plain ol' olive oil straight from the cheapest bottle. :thumbsup:

One thing I do believe, spit is the worst. :td: Especially if you don't shoot soon right after chewing and loading. :(

The ONLY time I use spit is to give the bore a light cleaning between shots.

But even then, I squeeze the patch HARD to get out as much "liquid" as I can before putting the patch down the bore followed by a clean, dry patch to insure the next powder load will go off completely.

This method seems to work pretty good... for me, at least.

There's probably dozens of really good lubes a man can use... who's to say one is better than another?

Hmmmmmmm... maybe they're all good, eh? :thumbsup:

Make GOOD smoke, my friends... :v

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I use spit at the range gives me excellent groups!. I also use TOTW Mink Oil when hunting and at the range. No difference in groups.

I've used straight bear oil too but prefer a mix for a hunting lube which works very nicely and makes the bear oil go a lot further. I give away so much every year, only makes sense. I'll use the oil to lubricate the locks.

I use 80% lard 20 % beeswax, above freezing below just pure lard. Why because it is cheap (like free since we have our own lard and my nephew raises bees) and it works! :idunno:

Back