• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just wondering approx. what diameter is a pre-cut patch for a 50 cal RB? I was thinking about manually cutting a few, but wasn't sure what diameter to cut it. The used patches I've recovered are a bit hard to get a good measurement, what with the fraying.

Patch dia. should be 1/2 bore dia,(not ball dia.)x 3.12 + Bore dia. In other words: .25 x 3.12 =.78 + .50 =1.28 dia.Hope this answers your inquiry.

If you want a perfectly fit patch, every time, use strips of ticking or denim of the correct thickness and cut your patches at the end of the barrel after seating the ball. If you're interested in learning how,we can have a discussion about it.

I prefer to cut the patch after starting the ball. After seating the ball tends to give a long ribbon effect. :crackup:

Patch dia. should be 1/2 bore dia,(not ball dia.)x 3.12 + Bore dia. In other words: .25 x 3.12 =.78 + .50 =1.28 dia.Hope this answers your inquiry.

Wouldn't that be the same as 5.12 x the radius of the bore, or 2.56 x the bore diameter?

I always cut them a little bigger than necessary anyway. I can never get the patch to stay perfectly centered on the bore.

Ummm. I use 1-3/8" strips for my .50 and .54 because that leaves a little remaining on either side when cutting at the muzzle so I know I have enough.

Guess it works out emperically or mathematically! :hatsoff:

I prefer to cut the patch after starting the ball. After seating the ball tends to give a long ribbon effect. :crackup:

I did say "after seating the ball" didn't I? I think I meant to say after sitting on the ball. It's hard on your denims but the patches are perfect every time.

Back