• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patches as wads??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beartrap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
could someone please tell me if it would work o.k. if i used heavy denim patches instead of the proper wads, for example load powder then heavy lubed patch, then load shot and use a heavy denim patch on top of shot as an over shot card. i am shooting #5 lead shot in a .54 smoothbore.

If you use just one disc of denim, I doubt it would keep the powder charge from blowing through the shot pattern, as I won't fit tight enough to form any kind of a gas seal. That's fine if you want to shoot stuff close, but maybe not too good for turkeys. A trip to the patterning board will tell the tale for sure. Is availability of wads the problem? I have read of guys making their own wad punched from a piece of hollow metal tube, with the edges sharpened to punch out pieces of thick cardboard for the purpose.

As for the overshot use of demin, as long as it is tight enough to hold the shot in the barrel, it should work fine. After all, that's the only purpose of the o/s card. :m2c:

If you use an heavy over powder card between the powder and heavy denim, it shouldn't burn through...

Never know until you try...

could someone please tell me if it would work o.k. if i used heavy denim patches instead of the proper wads, for example load powder then heavy lubed patch, then load shot and use a heavy denim patch on top of shot as an over shot card. i am shooting #5 lead shot in a .54 smoothbore.

The over shot card (or wad) must fit tight...wedged tight up against the walls of the bore to hold everything in place...I'd be worried that soft denim would give way and the shot would get loose and/or roll out
:m2c:

I don't think it will work too well at all unless you are talking about using a wadded up piece of denim. Even then, it won't give you the best of results. Wads are pretty cheap. You can get wads for any gauge from Circlefly Wads. A bag of 1000 overpowder or overshot wads is around $8 and the same price for a bag of 500 thick fiber cushion wad, which you can split in half and wind up with a 1000 of them too. So, for around $24, you have all the wads you need for a long time, and you know they will work right. :m2c:

What if you loaded powder, over-powder card, denim shot pouch with shot, over-shot card, would that get it?

It only has to hold it for twice the length of the barrel, once loading down and once shooting out...

You could even sew the shot inside the denim, like pre-fab shot pillows, breaking the threads as you loaded it... :hmm:

Good Lord you people are in the hi-tech rut!

I know people that use wasp nests and dried grass as wadding! It is not the most scietific shooting method, but it works, as it did for all of the generations that had no shot cups, fiber wads or fancy fixin's.

That was for how many hundreds of years?

You're dealing with a .54, not a wing shooter's delight anyway. You just need to know you can throw shot and how to do it. Play with it and find out what works and what dosen't. You may be suprised at how well it patterns that tiney shot volume using denim, newspaper or whatever you have!

:front:

dont have a shotgun any more but i used to use toilet paper...big wad on powder big wad on shot...could hit birds in trap shooting...

Newhouse,

Check out the following websight:
Paper Shot Cartridges for the Smoothbore
http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs/shotcup.htm.

Its real easy and works great. I have a friend who carries a .69 cal belly pouch. In it is 12 shot loads. 4 each of 8, 6,and 4 (Color codes them).

When he needs a quick reload, he dumps the powder, over powder and cushon wad (glued together) and pops in the shot load he wants, then overshot card. Saves a lot of load time and spill.

And the "shot cup" keeps the shot tightly together until it leaves the barrel. Eliminates blow through, and gives him an extra 10 yards, which is great for turkey.

Latest posts

Back