• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pattern difference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the approximate rang difference for a .62 gage fowler in cylinder bore and one with a jug choke for qual. Would a jug choke affect a prb?
Thanks
Nathan

I told that a jug choke had the same dia infront of and behind the jugged area(jugged meaning slightlt expanding) is this the same definition you guys use? Can this be done after the gun is built?

Musketman do you shoot a .62 smoothbore (what is it)

No, but a .62 bore is a 20 gauge...

I shoot a .75 caliber brown bess...

I found this about jug chokes:

Loading through Choke Tubes: This is a problem that never existed in the muzzle loading era. Choke boring was not widely used until 1875, which was well into the breech loading era, where you did have to worry about getting down past the choke with the wads. After choke boring became available in breechloaders, some live pigeon shooters who wanted to continue using their muzzle loaders had their guns jug (or recess) choked. This consisted of reaming a recess into the bore that was larger than the bore diameter, about 6

I've got a jug chocked 12 ga. it seems to be the same diameter on either side of the "jug" but i don't have the right instrument to really check it precisely. it is used to shoot trap and whatever else. I've not shot a round ball through it, and probably won't because it really patterns well & i'm chicken.., don't want to chsnce loosing that pattern.

SO guesss the question remains.. ?? Has anyone shot a patched round ball out of a jug chocked gun? I have not done so with mine.

rayb

Caywoods does jug choking and they say their jug choked barrels shoot roundballs good...click on this link and scroll down to big red letters "JUG CHOKING" JUG CHOKING

it would depend on the diameter of the jug taken out of the barrel..and the thickness of the barrel at the muzzel end.. that is the thickenss left of steel and the type of steel.. i have a mortimer 12 guage with a full jug choke.. the jug must be long enough to fit the entire load, that is wads and shot.. a fiber wad must be behind the shot so it can expand out to the jug, and then be choked down... theywork very well.. as stated above i also choose not to have a 540 grain round ball with patch blowing off to one side ruining a shot gun barrel that has been thinned more than the factory specs.. it could work fine.. but i dont see how it could be consistently accurate, but what do i know, i havnt tried it.. i also am chicken.. dave

well at least there's 2 chickens..... :crackup:

but i am realy set on not trying it. I like that tight pattern too much. Now if i could just hit more clay pigeons with it....

practice, practice, practice....

rayb

Back