• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC 18th century lead ingots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrum

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm trying to make lead ingots to run ball at an event. As I understand it, ingots were generally thin bars of lead back then. Can a mould for them be made out of wood or would it burn? I seem to recall seeing silver and brass being poured into wooden moulds. Lead is cooler than them, right?
Thanks!
Pat
p.s.
Here's what smiling fox sells as proper ingots: Link

I have read about (but never tried) using a 10 inch piece of 2x4 and carving out (use a router) about one half to three quarter inch deep and 3/4 inch wide cut and about 6 or so inches long and using this for a mold for lead to carry on the trail with you. Never tried it so can't say how well it would work.

Wood will burn. Just find some damp soil, like in a flower bed, remove sticks, etc. and use a finger to draw a groove in the dirt Pack the dirt down with a wet finger, to give the ingot a smooth cast. Pour the lead in the dirt grooves to make whatever length stick ingots you want to carry on a trail walk.If you have clay soil around you, it also works well, just allow the dirt to dry and absorb any water before pouring lead into the grooves. Let the sticks set up and cool- they will cool fairly quickly if not made too thick- and then wash the dirt off of them with your garden hose.

I did this with my father when we were kids, first melting scrape lead to clean it, and put in a more storable form. We didn't have a lot of choices for molds- he had one small hubcap looking stainless steel fitting that cast round ingots, but they were slow to cool, and so dad walked over to the flower bed and drew a line with his finger. Then he had us get a bowl of water to dampen our fingers, and smooth the bottom and sides of the grooves. The bed was in full sunlight so by the time we had more lead melted the grooves were ready for use.

If you want to make grooves in a pine 2X 4, or something similar, You can protect the wood from burning by soaking the wood in motor oil. The oil will burn or smolder, but the wood will only char at the edges of the grooves.

It would be safer, of course, to get some sand, mix it with old motor oil, and use it for your casting molds. This is generally how sand castings are still made. If you have a piece of 1/2 inch diameter dowel rod, you can use that to make the grooves for casting, Put oil on the dowel to act as a release agent, so sand won't stick to it.

I remember a post where the guy used copper tubing to make the round bars. I use a copper lade in the field. Dilly

Just curious. :hmm: I've never been to a blackpowder shooting event (I'm too anti-social for that!), but is it a rule that you cast balls from ingots for certain events? Otherwise wouldn't be easier, and no more weight, to just take more balls? Just wondering :confused:

I also understand the "ingots" that the boys carried in their bag were long and thin. I have made some for my bag (for display/instruction) as has been stated. Route a groove 1/2" or 3/4" wide and also deep usually 6 0r 8in. long in a 2X4 the wood will char but not usually burn. do this where you can control it if it does burn. Having water near melted lead is not a good practice. If the melted lead gets into the water it will literally explode steam, boiling water and hot lead all over. I have also made ingots from angle iron. Placing the angle like a V and welding ends on whatever length I want. makes a nice triangular ingot.

Squirrel Tail said:
Just curious. :hmm: I've never been to a blackpowder shooting event (I'm too anti-social for that!), but is it a rule that you cast balls from ingots for certain events? Otherwise wouldn't be easier, and no more weight, to just take more balls? Just wondering :confused:

Due to the multitude of calibers around, it was common to purchase or be issued lead as ingots especially in the militia. The professional Military would issue cast ammunition, but militia/longhunters generally cast their own.
Or so I've been told.

pcrum said:
Squirrel Tail said:

Due to the multitude of calibers around, it was common to purchase or be issued lead as ingots especially in the militia. The professional Military would issue cast ammunition, but militia/longhunters generally cast their own.
Or so I've been told.

Ah! That makes sense! :doh: Thanks!

If the melted lead gets into the water it will literally explode steam, boiling water and hot lead all over.

Actually, I believe it's the other way around. You don't want water getting into the lead.....just a drop or two will violently empty a lead pot! If you drop some lead into water it'll just steam & fizzle.

I am not so sure I would want to cast into dirt. Seems it would make a mess out of your lead.
If you cut black iron pipes in half length wise, then welded a couple of washers on them for bases and on the ends for plugs you would have long slender half round ingots. Smoke them to keep them from sticking. Ron

A plumber friend of mine comes up with old pipe lead, melts it down, and pours it in a heavy duty muffin pan. The muffin sized led wads are handy. graybeard

If you don't smooth out the dirt, with a damp finger, Yes, you get dirt in the lead you don't want. But with smoothing it out, we found we got nice " sticks" with surface dirt only. That is easily brushed and washed off.

We found that a narrow stick, between 3/8 and 1/2 inch wide, by 6 inches long worked will for feeding lead into the pot. If you have about 1/4 of the bottom of the pot already filled with molten lead, and then put one these sticks in it, its melting down within 10 minutes, and once the bottom reaches melting temperature, the whole stick slowly moves down into the pot. We could feed several sticks into the lead pot, and keep the molding temperature up to speed in only a few minutes of wait, so we could continue casting.

When we used the heavy round ingot poured into muffin tins, it took much longer for the ingots to melt, and for the molten lead to come back up to casting temperature. Dad even had my brother and me use the Axe, and a sledge hammer to see if we couldn't cut the round ingots in half so he could speed the process, but we really needed a band saw, that we didn't have, to do a proper job of cutting those round ingots. The next time we poured ingots, we made sticks, and he poured some 1/4" thick wafers in the muffin tins, to make them easier to heat and melt. They just proved much harder to stack up in the garage between casting times.

No as a rule you don't run the balls at the shoots. I have been shooting for 50 years and have never seen this used as part of the show. I still travel all over the west each year putting 1,000s of miles on my diesel.

All that being said, fellows are ask to put on a shoot for the club. They have to come up with some really strange things. I can't believe you would have time to run 10 or 20 shooters thru a match in one day with everyone molding lead over a small wood fire with bag molds. :shake:

I was at a shoot in Arizona a few years back. In one stage you had a big chunk of lead. You had to cut off a small sliver of lead with your hawk, wad it up and fire it at a target about 10 yards out.

I chose to pass on this stupid thing. I was not about to ram that down my Rice barreled Southern beauty. Many who did ended up having to remove the breech plugs as the gas by passed the wad of lead.
So when things get too stupid just pass on them. :nono:

I should have been more specific. This is in regards to a treking and reinacting event rather than an actual shoot.
I've never seen nor would I ever chop up a chunk of lead and shove it down my barrels.
Cheers,
Pat

"wood burns" Go figure... I have made dozens of decoy weights from wheel weights poured into wood molds made from scrap 2x4's and 2x6's. Sure wood burns, and when the ingot gets a little too much "character", make another. Hard woods last a little longer, however.
I would NEVER pour molten lead on a potentially damp surface.
R

Before I got my ingot mold I poured many a ingot into a wooden mold. The wood did char but it never cought fire. when it got to big from the charring I just routed out another mold. You can make them as big or small as you want.

If long, thin ingots are a must for your purpose you may wish to purchase an aluminum, duck and goose decoy strap mold. My old Herter's mold is a three ingot mold and I can pour weights of 6oz to 16oz, give or take. The weight is dependent on how thick I wish to make the ingots.

Ogre

I have an ingot mold made from a piece of red oak. It caught fire at first, but after a few pours it charred enough that it would just smoke a bit. I made it by just chiseling out a channel and the ingots have a really neat finish with 3 sides having a wood grain look.

Back