• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC Deer Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My partner and I are going to fill our deer tags (positive thinking) the PC way. One of the things we are debating are the scent block sprays. I know they aren't PC but he's leaning towards wanting to use them and I don't have expierence one eay or another. Are there any alternatives? I was thinking about just getting smoked up from the campfire, the forest service is doing prescribed burns burns not to far away so the smell of smoke may not freak deer out. I'd rather not get into the sprays but if it might increase my odds.... well I'm willing to give it a try, it wold be awesome to fill my tag on my first ever hunt.

You maybe thinking on this to much. If you pay attention to the wind you really don't need any of that stuff. I quit using all that store bought stuff a long time ago, made no sense to me driving to my stand and sitting on top of an CATV that smelled of gas, grease and every other thing thats been in or on it including me. Seen a lot of deer from it and shot a lot deer from it....keep the wind in your nose and move slower than slow, you'll be alright. :thumbsup:

Watch the wind/terrain and you'll be OK. The smell of smoke doesn't alarm them so much, as it is a "natural" smell. I like to smoke my clothes by standing next to the fire, though getting smoked is not always my intention. I believe that if you are going to do it (PC Hunting), do it right!

The Rat and Black Hand have it right. Use the wind to your advantage, and you'll be fine. I've got within 10 yards of deer in t-shirts and jeans simply by using the wind and terrain.

Wouldn't worry about it. I managed to snort in a decent buck while squirrel hunting, I stunk of Hoppes 9 at the time.BB

I have hemlock where I hunt and always crush some needles and rub the scent into my clothes. Never had to buy any pine cover scent.
I'll also 3rd the wind and terrain use.

Slip a little into the wind and sit down to think for a while. Do more thinking than slipping and your scent will not matter much at all!

I agree on using the wind too your advantage, i have thought of putting some fresh horse dumplings in a potato sack and caring it along. Those deer have no fear of the horses, probably why it`s illegal to hunt off them here.
I have also heard rolling around in the leaves in the woods will cover some scent.
Playing the wind has been my best tool, have crawled within 20 yards of deer with my bow several times.

not sure of the logistics but there's lawsuit pending by some org that says scent blockers don't work as advertised....i seen it on another forum so i can't post a link here, sorry :v ..............bob

when hunting the open sage brush land in colorado, i'll pluck some sage and rub the oils into my hands, face, neck, head and some parts of my clothing. Its free, PC correct and smells purdy :haha: Just use natural smelly things around your hunting area.

I use the scent free soap and shower before i go since I live 12 minutes from my stand provided I do not hit a deer in my truck on route and wash my clothes in scent free soap. I store them in a box or hang them in the air. Traditional is between you and your conscience. I wear camo since I have to yet wear them out but perfer a muzzleloader and a longbow. The wind and slow precicely timed movement are most important. Hunting is still about population control and recreation go get your deer. :thumbsup:

YOu can do as well using Baking Soda( Yes, Arm And Hammer Baking Soda in the grocery store) to kill your scent.

Better, when you leave your car, pull some of the weeds and grasses and leaves and crush them in your hands, and rub them over you crotch, and down your legs. Do the back of your hands if you don't wear gloves. Generally, You face and neck will be high enough to be above the deer's scent zone, so don't worry about that as much. Try to use local plants to refresh this " mask whenever you move to a different stand or position. I stay away from the artificial scents. I have used Doe-in-Heat as an attractant, and it works, some times. Again, you have to leave it down low in the deer's scent zone, and where the wind will carry the smell down to where you think the deer are bedded.

Just making the point you could smell like a sewer and still play terrain and wind enough to be effective. I used to get all stressed about scent blockers , active charcoal liners and that :bull: but have had more success just getting back to basic hunting skills.BB

bocalbender said:
.....but have had more success just getting back to basic hunting skills.....

I personally view those gimicky things (cover scents/magic clothes/attractants) as a crutch for folks who are not very versed in the outdoors.

THIS IS NOT MEANT AS AN INSULT TO ANYONE. Please don't take it as such.

I just get very tired of watching folks on hunting shows wearing magic hunting clothes, pouring deer pee on everything, putting out food, and then sitting in an elevated Port-A-Potty to shoot deer. And then they have the audacity to say at the end "What a hunt!!!" as they are gasping ang wheezing from having to walk 50 yards to their deer.

Learn to BE part of the outdoors, rather than viewing it as an adversary to be conquered. Learn about your quarry, and use nature to your advantage......

I walk down off up the hill looking for a good place to camp. I find a nice place where a tree has blown over making a nice windbreak for my fire and my tarp. I clean the pit and build the fire so that the upturned root ball reflects the heat back towards me and the tarp. I sleep all night within a few feet of the fire. The tarp, my blankets, and all my other gear smell like me and the fire both. My gun smells like brimstone and wintergreen. That is the first day before I spend a week out there, much less a year! Into the wind and think more than move!

I just get very tired of watching folks on hunting shows wearing magic hunting clothes, pouring deer pee on everything, putting out food, and then sitting in an elevated Port-A-Potty to shoot deer. And then they have the audacity to say at the end "What a hunt!!!" as they are gasping ang wheezing from having to walk 50 yards to their deer.

Argh, how can you stand to watch those infomercials, because thats all they really are now.

I was watching a Browning hunting show yesterday and of course it was guided on private property and after the "hunter" Shoots his elk he says, Wow!You're a great guide! All i had to do was pull the trigger! :surrender:

Swamp Rat said:
Argh, how can you stand to watch those infomercials, because thats all they really are now.

It's better (but not by much) than 99% of the drivel that is on TV today.

Back