• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC Horn Drilling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinter987

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I was just wandering how the old timers drilled a hole in the spout end of their powder horn without a power drill. Thank-You,
Flinter

Burn it thru with a red hot iron rod. Go to the kitchen & heat it on the stove red hot & then burn a lil, reheat, burn a lil, reheat, etc.

Oh, best to call your lawyer first so he can start the paperwork on your divorce, cause your wife is gonna be some kind of ****** Off !! :rotf: :rotf:

David Wright did an excellent chapter in "Book Of Buckskinning II" on horn making and drilling or burning a spout hole.

The hot rod method might be OK and PC for some, but bet they never tried it more than once. If you really want to try this method....try to burn spout in a Buffalo horn....Whoweeee! That will clear your unwanted relatives from the house!! :shocked2:

You guys obviously haven't spent a day branding calves. Now THAT will clear your sinuses. I think I have also addled my pate a tad because I actually kinda like the smell. Of course, I am divorced now. :hmm:

Heck, I always assumed that the old-timers just used a hand-gimlet...coupla twists on the ol' T-handle and you've got a hole with no fuss, feathers or stink.

Back