• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecan hull dye?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fort fireman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Quick question about this stuff. I made up some pecan hull dye last fall from the pecan hulls I collected from my trees. I put it in a bucket with a lid on it to save until I wanted to do some dyeing a hunting shirt. The other day i took the lid off the stuff and wow! It was a bit rank. Is the stuff suppose to stink or did I do something wrong? Can I fix this stuff or is it gone bad? i am deffinately not sticking my hunting shirt in that stuff the way it smells. :barf:

It's rotten, throw it out and start over. The walnut hull dye comes in a powder and is pretty inexpensive. I used that on a hunting shirt by putting about 5 ounces in a cloth sack tied shut and boiling it. Once I was done I took out the sack and let it dry out, then I just pour a little fresh powder in the sack and it's ready to dye something else. Do the same with the pecan hulls.

i took the hulls out before i put it up to store.It is just the brown water that i put up to store over winter. I've heard of people storing the dye for a period of time. How do they keep the stuff from rotting?

I did a large batch of walnut a couple years back and canned it like ya would a jam or jelly,
Quart jars and Kerr lids, just put it up hot and let'm seal.(near boiling hot)

The deal is, the stuff (pecan too) has a high sugar content and aerobic bacteria loves the stuff. Keep the air off it or in the fridge or freezer and it's OK, but any extra air an it's done :barf:

Canned hot an the bugs are dead from the heat and nothing new can git at it. Some sediment will settle but just shake it an all's well.

Ok, now I know. it kinda sucks. i had a bunch of the stuff to. I guess I'll make some more next fall and use it right then.

I store my walnut and chestnut dyes by adding a bit of denatured alcohol to them, about 1/4 cup to 2 quarts, keeps the bacteria from growing and will not harm either fabric or horn or?.............

Experiment a little here, get an OLD white t shirt, dye it, then try to get the rotten smell out of it. It might work :idunno:. This way you won't feel bad when you finally throw out the dye that is rotten, and the OLD t shirt that stinks. :v

Back