• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica River TC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you folks who own the TC Hawken are not real happy with the amount of drop and the length of pull in the factory stock.

Below is my TC with the Pecatonica River #2 Curly Maple stock on it.
Not being totally happy with the look of the standard TC nosecap, I cast this one using Cerrobend casting alloy.

The Pecatonica River TC stock's drop is about 1 inch greater than the standard stock which brings the line of sight right to my eye so, no longer do I have to scrunch my neck and head down to aim.

The #2 Curly maple stock isn't very fancy, but it has enough curl to make the looks a bit more custom. If I were to do this over again, I'd pay the extra little bit and get the #3 Maple like I've used on other guns. It has a lot more curl.

This stock isn't exactly a "drop in" for the standard parts, but with a little inletting at the tang and a little cutting in the lock mortice things fit pretty well.

I ordered the stock with the butt plate uncut so I could adjust it to my liking.

Also, just for the H of it, I installed a toeplate to protect the wood.

TC2.jpg
[/img]

zonie :)

Looks great Zonie, nice job. I think the wood is very nice, too.

I had an acquaintance put one of these together for me recently and was very happy with the way it turned out, although I left the stock in a closet for a couple of years beforehand and it warped. :redface: He used a Corby rivet to the rear of the lock panel to hold it together, glued and epoxied the stock and glass-bedded the barrel, it's holding fine so far.

Enjoy the gun -

Mark

That looks very nice. I replaced the stock on mine too, I used walnut. I saved my TC lock and triggers and bought iron hardware from the hawken shoppe for the triggerguard, nosepiece and buttplate. I purchased a toeplate and entry thimble,primitive sights and ramrod pipes from TOTW. I used my .58 GM barrel, stripped bluing from the lock, trigger and barrel and browned it all with LMF browning solution. I just LOVE how it fits me now. Sorry the pics are a little grainy, I should have used the flash.
Idaho PRB

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Is it the pics, or has the wrist been thinned a bit top to bottom along with the extra drop? The standard always feels a little thick to me for some reason, along with the too-high comb. If not, maybe the extra drop would take care of the thick feeling of the wrist with no other change. Sure looks like a shooter with that extra drop.

BrownBear,
I don't know if your refering to Zonie's rifle, or mine :hmm: . To answer your question, if refering to mine, yes, I did remove quite a bit of wood from the wrist. I also thought the TC stock just felt too thick through the wrist. I just kept feeling the "Fit" through there until it felt right for me.
Idaho PRB

Zonie said:
"...toeplate..."

I always thought the TC Seneca's buttplate with toeplate was a good functional and decorative idea...wish TC had carried that design on into the Hawken model...

Zonie, that looks great. Even with the #2, there's enough figure and drop to change the rifles appearance. :thumbsup:

That looks great Zonie! Now ya got me takin a second look at my plain jane TC. :thumbsup:

Turned out real nice!
Just a quick question Zonie. If I am looking correctly at the pic. I do not see a standard rear sight in front of the lock and it looks like a peep at rear of lock. Am I correct at what I think I am seeing. If that is what it is how do you like that setup?

50cal.cliff: Your eyes are seeing it like it is.
The rear sight was removed and replaced with a standard TC peep sight.

I did this to it because when I built it I was having trouble seeing. At the time, I had cataracts which made using normal sights impossible.
Even with the peep sight I would see three front sights and three targets, but by shooting the upper right target with the upper right sight I could get 2 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. :grin:

:thumbsup:
Like they say, whatever works.
I still see good at distance, but arms have gotten too short for fine work without my glasses anymore,(if you know what I mean)! :rotf: :rotf:

I'm glad you made this post. I am encouraged to take the same route with my old (1982) TC Renegade. I think I'll go with a Green Mountain 54 caliber barrel while I'm at it. Thanks again.

Ogre

Zonie ya got any pic's from a while back on here of the fullstock ones, think thats the way I'll go with a 62 rifled T/C (thanks to Pork Chop for rifle) Fred :hatsoff:

fw: No I don't because I've never built one.
If I ever do decide to restock another TC that's the way I would go too (even though it isn't PC).
I've always been partial to the fullstock guns whether they are Flintlocks or my Ruger "10-22 International". Oops, sorry about mentioning those unmentionables.

Was just hopeing youd remember one that ran kind of long on here or building page sometime back, my mind cant remember when it even was or by who, but was a great build made me start one too. Fred :hatsoff: Much thanks anyway.

Back