• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli, Cabelas, Armi Sport Kentucky Rifle Experiences?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on what type of flintlock long rifle I should get later this winter. I've considered Pecatonica kits but that may prove to be too difficult for my dad and I's skill levels. Then I've thought about production guns such as the one's listed above. Has anyone used any of these? What's your opinion of them, were they good sparkers? Then another one of my options is to try to buy a used semi custom gun. I know people are going to throw out there to save up another year or two but my mother would kill me if she found out I spent $900 one one rifle. Plus I'm not sure if I'd be willing to put that much money into one gun. Thanks. :thumbsup:

If you are just wanting a flint rifle to start out with, one of the pedersoli kentucky style rifles will due just fine. This will get you in the game, 45 or 50 cal is what you want. I would lean toward the .50 cal if you plan on hunting deer with it. If you plan on doing historical reenacting then i would choose a gun that fits your time and place. Eventually you will get a custom gun made. But first get started with a simple factory made gun.

I have a Cabela's .50 and a Lyman GPR .54 (both are made by Investarms) and while not PC or HC by any standard, I would recommend them as what they are, modest, affordable, functional, reliable, accurate flintlocks and a good bang for your buck. Lots of folks here are big fans of TC and that company's excellent customer service, I don't have any experience with the others you list.

Pedersoli rifles are very good shooters and provide dependable service. I owned one for years and it accounted for quite a few deer. Their flint locks, however, leave much to be desired. Basically they are a manure shoot. you may get a good one that sparks well but you also may get one that will try your patience. You may have to invest in a replacement lock if yours turns out to be a dud. You can have it tuned, if it doesn't spark well, but then you may not have to.

I have a Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle (same gun as the Pedersoli Frontier I believe) in .50 caliber and I've had none of the lock issues that I've seen mentioned here. Mine is a reliable sparker, it's very accurate and it's accounted for more deer than any other rifle (modern or otherwise) that I own.

I'm likely to sell mine one of these days to help pay for a new flintlock kit but I've been perfectly happy with it for nearly 20 years. I'm not sure I'd pay new prices for one but if you can get a "like new" gun for a couple hundred less than what they're asking for a new one, I'd definitely recommend it.

The Blue Ridge is on sale from Cabela's right now.
I rate it third behind TC, Lyman, then Pedersoil's. I have and shoot all three makers guns (a lot).

I think new prices are a bit high, but if you could get a good price on a used one, then I think you'd be getting fair value for your money.

I've got an older Pedersoli Frontier flinter in 50 that is a really fine rifle, but new prices would throw you into the realm of prices for used semi-customs. Those are a manure shoot too in terms of build, but the components are probably better made if the gun is put together right. I'm getting rid of my Pedersoli, but only because it's a righty and I'm not.

I'm real fond of Lymans, having never encountered any of the small problems report recently. Unless you just prefer the style of the Pedersoli over the Lyman, I think the Lyman is a little better made with better warranty coverage for problems. New prices for a Lyman flinter are edging up toward Cabella's on-sale price for a Blue Ridge however, but in your shoes to save buxx I'd probably be looking for a used Lyman to get a "comparable or better" gun if the style was right for you.

My Cabela's is percussion, but the thing I want to say is that I got it a Cabela's bargain basement for $100. It shoots real good with Hornady Great Plains, and I've killed a number of elk with it.

I have a kit Pedersoli .54 flint and she is a good shooter and the set trigger is good have mine set for 5 lb pull. One small problem I had was the frizzin wasn't hardend right but I fixed it by soft soldering a hacksaw blade and shaping it with a file. now she sparks everytime. Thats the only problem. The kits you need to take your time doing and the end results are well worth the time as you'll have a nice work gun that functions.

Have you looked in the classified section here. There seems to be just what you're looking for there right now for $500.00.

I started with an Investarms Hawken about 8 years ago. I never had any problems with it and still shoot it.

If you are worried about building a kit, have you considered buying one "in the white"?

I'm not interested in buying until early spring or late winter. I already have a lyman trade rifle I just want a flintlock full stock.

I would go for a used domestic made gun for every good report on an import flinter you will find another that is not so good, some of the "good" reports may well come from less than experienced sources. I have often heard how well made and fine the fit and finish of some of the imports are and the fact is they pale when compared to the custom guns with the right amount of wood removed and the style and overall construction just do not compare.I have yet to figure out how anyone who has never held a well made gun from a quality parts set can pick up an import and comment on it with any degree of relevance.

Luie,
How about a good semi-custom rifle from TVM. TVM offer their Tennessee: http://www.avsia.com/tvm/tennessee.htm and Southern
: http://www.avsia.com/tvm/southern.htm Rifles for $850. Fpr $100 less they both come in the white, which means you have to apply finish to the wood and metal. The average price for the Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge is $750. TVM is well worth looking at :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the frontier rifle from Cabelas. Now it does lack in quality but shes a tack driver. TG made some good points on buying a custom rifle and the prices they are asking now a days for the ones you are looking at, you might want to save a little more for a good custom one.

I'm with you on spending $800-$1000 on a rifle no matter how nice it is. I too am looking for my first flinter and am looking at the import production guns. One thing i've gathered from this forum is flinters require a bit more resolve to master over caplocks. You may find a flintlock is just not for you. I'll give the advise I'm giving myself...Don't spend a ton of money on a flintlock you may not want to keep. Get something reasonably priced that will give you a taste of flintlocks to see if you like it. Or find someone who will let you try their flinter. The other side of the coin is, as i've also gathered here, a production flinter may not function very well and turn you off on them. Tough call but I say go with what you can practically afford. If you love it you can upgrade. If you don't your not up to your eyeballs financialy invested in a rifle. Just my inexperienced 2 cents. What ever you choose just make good smoke.
Mark

Vtsmoker has a good point. If you buy a TC, Lyman or Pedersoli new right now and sell it in a year, you're going to lose money. If you buy one of those guns used right now, take care of it and sell it in a year, you won't lose a penny.

I think tg also has a pretty good point. You often get all kinds of advice on websites and oftentimes the folks offering the advice are repeating what they've heard others say or are coming from a relatively inexperienced perspective. I will say again that I like my Cabelas/Pedersoli and I presently have 3 other custom guns and an RMC rifle (a more modern production gun with a GM barrel and L&R lock), in addition to having owned, shot and handled a number of TCs and one Lyman. I think the Pedersolis get some unfair criticism, at least if my Pedersoli is representative of most, which I admit, it may not be.

Take everything with a grain of salt. It does seem like you're doing your homework and being patient, which are both good virtues.

I already have a lyman trade rifle flintlock and shoots ok but the lock geometry is weird so I can't even put a flint in bevel up. I mentioned in my 1st post that i will never pay the $800 for a TVM and the "in the white" still has unfinished metal which is the part in a kit that makes me nervous. The only way I will be able to get a used semi custom but I've rarely seen them for sale on the forum. But I have a few months until I am wanting to buy.

Do not let the unfinished metal bother you it is very easy to add some patina and let it be natural or brown the barrel and steel parts this is one of the easiest stages of gun building, first thing to decide is if PC/HC is important as this can drive the choice rather strongly if it is important to you, if not many other doors are open, do you have a particular style/time period and caliber in mind? or are you looking for a generic "longrifle" non history oriented.

I was hoping to go for a certain time period but am now finding out I can't afford that price. At first I thought I could find a used TVM or similar brand gun but I rarely see them in the classifieds. Maybe I could go ahead with the pecatonica river idea if I get them to do all the services possible to simplify the build. But come to think of it I don't think it would be worth it at all to buy the factory guns because the prices are too close.

Latest posts

Back