• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli ky long rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm been looking at a flintlock ky and was looking on Dixie gun work website and I saw there pedersoli ky long rifle and I got to thinking if I build one or rebuild one it so I am wanting to know about their quality. I never been a big fan of pedersoli but they seem like good guns to be and I'm just curious about how others feel thanks

If they seem like good guns to you why are you not a fan? I have had no problems and believe for the quality they are fairly priced, however my Traditions and CVA will shoot as accurate.

I haven't owned one, but I did get the pleasure of shooting one. (percussion not flint)
Good gun in many ways. But it is too long for my tastes.
It was accurate and a good looking rifle.

I have numerous frontier rifles by Pedersoli and win a bunch with them. The flintlocks are great sparkers and ignition time is good as well.

I just bought a used Ped. Ky. rifle in .45 cal. The factory fit and finish is superior to most other brands I have seen. Even so, there is room for improvement. The wood stands proud of the metal at the tang, lock, butt plate and nose cap. Also, the inletting around the patch box is done by machine and shows it.

The GPR kits I have done end up with much better fit.

The rifle is very light which was my goal. The .45 weighs 7 lbs.

Shoots very accurate from the bench at 25 yards.

Knowing everything I know now, I would still have made this purchase. I might have preferred the Dixie kit form to do the final finish work myself. However, note that the barrel is already blued on the kit and is not in the white. I would prefer this browned instead of blued. No problem to strip the bluing and brown instead, though.

I don't know anywhere to examine one of these before purchase (in my area). Cabelas carries these online, but no longer in our local store.

about one year ago I picked up a Dixie india trade musket. it is based on a pedrosoli brown bess carbine. I have owned 6 smoothbores. I place it just below the caywood nwtradegun. the fit and finish is above what I have seen in production guns. it was made in 1999. finally found correct letter cosse for year of manf.

I like Pedersoli very much. The Kentucky is actually one of my favorite-handling because it is so relatively short for its bore compared to others like the Pennsylvania and even the Frontier.

I think there's a Cabela's-branded Pedersoli Kentucky that traded the patchbox for a double-set trigger -- I'd look long(ingly) and hard at that if you are in the market for such a type.

The reason I'm not a fan of is i don't care for anything Italian. My only problem is I don't want to spend 575 on it and take it out and drop it in water or mud because I want one for historical trekking so I want on to use thanks

Alden said:
I like Pedersoli very much. The Kentucky is actually one of my favorite-handling because it is so relatively short for its bore compared to others like the Pennsylvania and even the Frontier.

I think there's a Cabela's-branded Pedersoli Kentucky that traded the patchbox for a double-set trigger -- I'd look long(ingly) and hard at that if you are in the market for such a type.

Agreed. I would much prefer double-set-trigger for the patch box that I will never use anyway.

jrbaker90 said:
The reason I'm not a fan of is i don't care for anything Italian. My only problem is I don't want to spend 575 on it and take it out and drop it in water or mud because I want one for historical trekking so I want on to use thanks
Well unless you buy a custom gun good luck finding anything made in the USA anymore thats works well. TC gone, Traditions- ok at best, Lyman is itallian, CVA is done. Pedersoli has the only decent factory gun on the market and they are affordable and work great.

Nothing wrong with a Pedersoli gun of any kind. I have owned several and all have functioned well with no problems. All were good shooters, too. My only complaint is the requisite printing stamped into the barrel. If you prefer not to have the name of the manufacturer, a serial number and the "Black Powder Only" warning showing, you have a couple of choices. You can either draw file the barrel to remove the stamping and then refinish it or you can build your own rifle from a kit from a good gun manufacturer such as Jim Chambers or TVM. There are others but these are just two of the best.

This is a personal opinion and many will argue with me over it but I would never spend my money on a gun made in India. I think they are a waste of money for anyone other than a reenactor who shoots only blanks. I am not an expert on these things but I, like most other folks, have my own opinions on things and this is one of them. Don't waste your money on guns made in India. Take that advice for whatever it is worth to you.

I have the Pennsylvania, which is the same as the Kentucky but with a longer barrel. It's my favorite of the muzzleloaders I own. Fit and finish is great, the lock is a great sparker and it shoots very accurately. I also own some other Pedersoli guns and have no complaints about them.

07502f45-fdc0-4042-a7b5-b4df0bb09450_zps66aec7d0.jpg

2_Tall said:
jrbaker90 said:
Well unless you buy a custom gun good luck finding anything made in the USA anymore thats works well. TC gone, Traditions- ok at best, Lyman is itallian, CVA is done. Pedersoli has the only decent factory gun on the market and they are affordable and work great.

I think it's a "war-bride" thing, but, everyone loves pizza*!

*Note pizza here has little resemblance to it in Italy.

I bought a Ky flinter just after Christmas & have had great luck with it so far”¦.I went to knappe(d) flints & have had even better ignition than before.
Every problem I've had has been brought on by myself”¦I've broken 2 factory wooden ( very thin ) ramrods..finally bought a fiberglass one & have no problem now.

Click video below”¦
http://s99.photobucket.com/user/yardhunter/media/100_3154.mp4.html

Good shooting gun for the price paid..
Here's the 10th time she's fired this gun. This girl isn't afraid of the big boy guns”¦...”¦see ya yardhunter

Last edited by a moderator:
jrbaker90 said:
The reason I'm not a fan of is i don't care for anything Italian.

I just bought my first Pedersoli (flinter) and I'm very impressed with the quality (as were a couple of fellow club members). I have an Uberti revolver, and I also ride a Moto-Guzzi - a great bike, but I would have to describe it as quirky :grin: . Mustn't forget the Fiat I once owned.

Once the Italians get themselves sorted, they make good stuff.

575 is cheap...if you want a good shooting flint that is still cheap enough to where you dont mind beating it around a bit then 575 is the price range your looking for..

That's an early-production Pedersoli Kentucky .50 lying on a Mulie doe it took in my avatar photo. The small lock is fast but maybe a bit more finicky than the much larger one on my Frontier, or the L&R Mantons on my double. I'm quite happy with it.

Regards,
Joel

Get it NOW! Cabelas has them on sale for almost $200 cheaper than normal. Bought a .32 Pedersoli Kentucky off of DGW also for alost $200 cheaper. Boys and their toys.......

Back