• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Le Page Rear Sight Adjustment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeshen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've shot my Le Page a couple of times, but really did not pay attention to the rear sight adjustment. I'm going to shoot it this week and see if I can raise the point of impact.

Tightening the screw all the way down "appears" to raise the rear sight, but it's hard to judge because when loosening the screw, it raises up slightly and I can't tell if the screw is actually rising up or if it the sight rising up.

And the manual that comes with the gun is kind of generic makes no reference to the Le Page adjustable sight.

Can anyone shed a little light here on how this is supposed to work?

I'm assuming you have the percussion version.

The screw immediately behind the rear sight will lower the rear sight if turned counter clockwise and raise the rear sight if turned clockwise.

Put a witness mark (a fine point sharpee works well) on the side of the sight and you should be able to see it move as you turn the screw. A half turn will get you about 1/64" of movement.

Well, thank you all for your responses.

I took the gun out and shot it this week.

Shot 2 targets at 15 yards, and 2 at 25 yards.

The adjustment screw on the sight has approximately 2 full turns of adjustment. The screw appears to move up and down slightly, but turning the screw appears to have no effect in moving the sight vertically.

The first target shot at each of the distances above, the screw was turned as far as it could go clockwise. The second target at each distance the screw was turned as far as it could go counter-clockwise.

There appeared to be no appreciable difference in the point of impact at either yardage.

I am a point of aim, point of impact type of shooter - even though the rear sight does not appear to adjust at all, the good news for me is that the point of aim is right in the center of the X ring.

Am shooting a .433 RB with .010 pre-lubed Wonder patch, 15 grains Swiss 3 F with 15 grains of COW filler.

One of the reason I bought this gun was to at least have the ability to adjust elevation - oh well. Looks like none is needed. However, I am disappointed in spending so much money on a gun only to find out that the rear sight does not adjust as it is supposed to.

If you are comfortable working on the pistol and have screw drivers that properly fit the screws you can easily take the tang out of the stock (after you have taken the barrel out of course.) You will then be able to see and reach the sight adjustment. It should move much more than two turns. I suspect that someone has disabled the adjustment. NMLRA Kentucky pistol matches allow Le Page pistols, but do not allow adjustable sights. Currently we disable them by sealing the screw with nail polish or other glue, but in the past various things were done to them. Take a look - you might be able to easily re-enable it.

Alan

I will take a look at it, but the gun was bought NIB from Flintlocks, Etc. I bought the gun just a couple of months ago. It did seem odd though that the proofmark stamp on the gun indicates it was made in 2010. Even though the gun was sold to NIB, I have a feeling it may not have been.

The rear sight should have a good 1/4" of adjustment with way more than two turns of the sight screw. Like aross007 said pull the tang. The very bottom of the rear sight may be binding on the stock wood or there's something in the channel it rides in binding it up.

Back