• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLR650

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Renegade .54 that is currently wearing a Lyman 57SML and I am thinking of replacing it with a T/C peep. The T/C piece looks to be more "low drag" when compaired to the Lyman.

I am new to BP but have several leverguns with Marbles tang sights and I definatly prefer the tang mount to a reciever(Williams)mount.

Is there any reason to believe that the Lyman would be a better sight or more accurate than the T/C sight?
(I will be shooting PRB)

Thanks

IMHO lyman sight's are not as streamlined but the micro adjustments are light years better then the T/C peepsight. Depending on your load lyman sights also have a greater adjustment range over the T/C models....GTC

The Lyman sight you have is the way to go!

My son can cut a string or a playing card at 25 yards with his! One of the clubs that we belong to "outlawed" all peep sights after watching him use that Lyman sight on his Trade Rifle!

One note of caution: watch how you handle, transport and clean the gun...since the sight isn't "low-drag" it can be knocked out of adjustment.

My Lyman's are all rattling around in a drawer, replaced on my rifles with the TC. It's a whole lot less bulky, and like you, I prefer them on the tang. If I was adjusting the sight all the time, then the Lyman would get the nod. But I sight them in and shoot them, never touching the sight again.

Thanks for the responses, that is pretty much what I was thinking. Shooting patched balls at deer I don't need 2-300yrds worth of elevation adjustment, I am figuring my dial in right around 75yrds and then work out my holdover/under.

used the T/C peep for many years,never has gotten in the way,all I use is the post with the disk removed.peep post hole 180 ths. in diameter great for aging eyes.use the peep on a Renegade and a Lyman gpr. modified the front sights on both, filed a v channel on the top of the front sights and attached a tiny fiber rod from a bow sight, 1/32 inch dia. about 3/4 of an inch long, picks up light and is as small as my aging eyes can pick up.no fuzzy edges.you can buy the fiber at a archery shop.peep sights work.

one vote for the T/C Peep

One thing worth tossing out:

With that sight back on the tang, the post has to be raised almost all the way to sight in with the standard front sight on any rifle I've tried. I don't have a Renegade, but figure my Big Boar qualifies. On it and my Hawken, the stanard front sight is .500 high. My shooting pards and I have all taken to replacing it with one in the .250-.280 range in order to be able to lower that rear post a bit.

That leaves the line of sight pretty low to the barrel, but we all kinda like it that way. One thing though: If you put on a fiberoptic front sight, the shiny top flat on the barrel is going to reflect it back at you so it looks almost like there's a second bright spot some distance "below" the front sight. It's distracting at first and takes some getting used to, but it's worth a head's up before you get all fired up about using one instead of a conventional front sight.

I had concidered a lower front blade and that is interesting about the fiber. I did the same thing on a Marlin with a piece of .030 fiber after a Williams Firesight(.060) covered too much of the target at 100yrds but hab no reflection issuse because of the round barrel.

ya know,,I was gonna put a 57 on my renegade. but I found out,,no, I saw after purchasing one that the Renegade stock has to be inlet for the 57 to fit.
The Ren stock I have is REALLY nice,,I just couldn't bring myself to wreck that stock for the sight.So I tradded out the 57 for a T/C tang mount. There is no doubt in my mind the 57 is hands down a better sight.The slop in the T/C elevation is very evadent, there is going to be no "minor" adjustment with this peep. If I had a Renegade stock that was already cut for the 57? I'd stay with that sight and modify the peep for my needs.

There are two kinds of T/C peep sights. One with a flat base to be mounted on the back of the tang using the rear screw hole and a centered one. The other kind has an slightly arched base and is made to be mounted at the front of the tang using the front hole and a centered threaded hole. The arched base sight will set higher and would probably work better with the the .5 inch front blade. I don't know which might be an older version, and which might be the newer. The flat based sight will set closer to the eye, while the arched base will set farther forward. Which ever you use, the tang will need a center hole that's drilled and tapped for one of the sight mounting screws.

Kansas Volunteer said:
There are two kinds of T/C peep sights. One with a flat base to be mounted on the back of the tang using the rear screw hole and a centered one. The other kind has an slightly arched base and is made to be mounted at the front of the tang using the front hole and a centered threaded hole. The arched base sight will set higher and would probably work better with the the .5 inch front blade. I don't know which might be an older version, and which might be the newer. The flat based sight will set closer to the eye, while the arched base will set farther forward. Which ever you use, the tang will need a center hole that's drilled and tapped for one of the sight mounting screws.

That's interesting about the flat versus arched. I'm thinking the arched version must be the older one, because the half dozen I've bought in the last couple of years were all flat and intended for the rear mounting scheme. I'll hafta keep my eyes open.

I have a Lyman 57 rear sight on my TC 45 cal Hawken. Got a globe front sight that has a bunch of different insert. I modified the sight base to fit the stock rather mess up my stock. I have the TC peep sights on my hunting riles. The 57 is the way to go on a rifle that will be used for target work. The TC sight seems to be ok for hunting work. I have just not shot them enough to be sure yet.

Back