• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PEEP SIGHTS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When did PEEP sights come into play, or is that a modern invention. ?? Got a Cabelas with peep sights on it and just wondered :bow: any help would be appreciated

I have received word that it is fine to discuss peep sights. I personally use a Lyman 57 SML on three of my rifles. I have had good luck with them. What help are you looking for with them? Ron

Russian Bullmoose Man said:
When did PEEP sights come into play, or is that a modern invention. ?? Got a Cabelas with peep sights on it and just wondered :bow: any help would be appreciated

There were peep sights on crossbows long before rifles, so I suspect they date back to when rifles came into general use. Remember, we had smoothbores for hundreds of years before barrels were rifled.

Peeps do go way back but like bullets the ones of the past may not be equal to the ones of the present, for the most part the modern ones are better and advantageous over the old ones from the 1840's and back,they had boats back then but nothing like todays missle cruisers.It would be nice to see a trend toward the type of sights and gear that was used in the time that ones gun represents, and less geared toward the modern stuff.This is the whole deal about the modern ML's that is so attractive kit is not the type of ignition but the type of bullets and sights that out do the PRB and primitive open sights.

Doesn't the 1861 series of muskets have a peep on the leaf of the lift up sight?

Back