• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sites on a BP ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Folks-

It keeps crossing my mind that Lyman offers the 57GPR peep to go on my GPR. Has anyone done this, and what did you think? I primarily hunt with a gun (not a competition shooter) so I was wondering about it. Any of you rascals got input of the value of having a peep?

Spot

IMHO, the best deer hunting (best chance at a big buck) is usually during the very first & last few minutes of morning and late afternoon light. While still legal, light levels during these few minutes when a big one is slipping back to his thicket or just stepping out, are very poor at best, and peep sights seem to make the problem even worse for me.

Spot Shooter.... There's both good and bad to be said about using a peep sight. I think more good than bad. The peep does cut down some on your shooting hours. However you are able to see much more of your target for a better sight picture. Since you don't have to concentrate on the peep, just look through it, folks getting on up there in age tend to be able to shoot better with a peep. It's also very fast since your eye automatically centers the front sight for you. When using a peep I prefer a post front sight and not a front sight with a bead. Just adjust your sights so the spot you want to hit sits right atop the post (the ol' 6 o'clock sight picture). I think I've finally found a peep/receiver sight that will work on my CVA. I'll post that on a new topic.

Spot, I put a peep sight on my T/C .50, and added a long spur hammer so I could reach around the sight...improves my accuracy by about 50%...I wish I could use one in matches...while I still think of myself as a callow youth, I've seen enough winters to agree with the Texan about what age does to vision...Hank

I prefer a peep sight of some variety to open sights of any variety and in some instances even more than telescopic sights. I've been using them for close to 20 years for hunting and various types of target shooting to say nothing of my "introduction" to them in basic training.

If the Lyman 57GPR is the one I think it is, for early morning and late evening shooting simply screw out the center disc (put it someplace you REALLY WON'T lose it) and use the stem as is. It's called a "ghost ring" and we've been using it for generations like that. There will be plenty of light. If you think you can't hit a deer with a rear aperature that large, put your rifle on paper first....you will be pleasantly surprised.

I am a HUGE fan of aperature sights.

Vic

Sharps.... My first Williams 5D receiver sight cost just that $5.00. I put it on my Springfield 1903 which I bought from Montgomery Wards for $30.00. :)

I found that the Lyman 57 Peep & globe front site cut my 100 yard group size in half. But I didn't like it at all for hunting. I put it on a deer & have to move it all over the place to find the spot I want, then if I blink I had to hunt all over again. I tried it for 1 season & took it back off & just use iron sights for deer. I also tried dif size aperatures & etc, just never was pleased with the amount of light of dreary days.

Shooting with a peep sight is good in any light if you have the right sized aperature. Bigger for less light. Several companies make adjustable aperature peeps like on a camera lense. If they cost too much simply buy a cheap rear peep and drill out the hole to 3/16 for a hunting sight. I have a homemade one with several interchangeable aperatures. Also unscrewing the disk and just using the post with nearly 1/4" hole works surprisingly well for hunting in any light.

Ironwood...My Dad bought a SMLE...ummm..#1, Mk 4, (it was made by Savage and marked "US Property") I believe, from Wards for $13.00.....in 1963...now when did you get that '03 for $30.00? I think mine ran me about $350.00 almost 10 yrs. ago....but it was an '03-A3 too, Remington, 2 groove. Great cast bullet rifle.

Vic

Has anyone tried one of those peep sights that go into the rear dovetail? I have used peeps a lot in the past but never tried one that close to the eye. I am unsure whether it would be better or worse.
Track of the Wolf sells one like I am talking about.

Sharps.. My rifle is a Remington 2 groove also but it's and 1903. I think I bought it in 1964 or 65. I put a Fajen stock on it and a Williams 5D receiver sight. Had a friend build up the front sight post a little. For target shooting I have a Lyman Globe front sight with all the inserts. But of course, for hunting I use the post front sight. If I remember correctly the 303's were considerably less expensive than the Springfields.

A friend also gave me about 250 rounds of Lake City 53 brass which I'm still using today.

Ooooops sorry, seems like I've drifted away from the original topic.

Sharps 4590 is right on with that "ghost ring". Can't remember my Garand M-1 sight, but that was a big peep. Shot a collector's item (new) Winchester 94 .30-30 with an original tang peep sight, about 3/16 inch hole. From the bench, I shot 10 WWSX 150 gr Power points into 2.5" at 100 yards, 8 in 1.75". And I could see half the county through that sight! Darkhorse- the peep sight in the rear dovetail you refer to at Track must be the slide insert on page "Adjustable Rear Sights". Again, here you can use a big hole. Correctly, they are called "closed buckhorns". There is one on an original Hawken in the NPS musueum near the arch in St. Louis. Also an original rifle with a closed buckhorn in a museum in Des Moines. The idea is, take Track's Primitive Buckhorn sight #RS-A-59 and pinch the horns shut. I make my own. First fit an open rear sight to determine height of the center of that hole, then make the closed sight based on that center. Doc White shoots closed buckhorns. He says he usually places well in competitions he enters (or wins), and nobody has ever challenged that sight, calling it a "peep" sight. If they do, whip out your jeweler's saw and cut a tiny slot at the top. I like them, they are accurate and fast, and minimize eyesight problems. Horsedoctor- White's (Shooting System?) (inline) catalog I can't find at the moment shows their sight, seems to have about a 1/4" hole in that tang peep. They work great for low light or fast snap shots.

Gonna have to get on Doc about them closed Buckhorns next time I see him. Actually I've made them and shot them for awhile with just the slightest slit between the horns but have decided that they're not that much better, if any, than a buckhorn, at least, for my eyes. 1/4" holes are what I used.
Deadeye

I just put a Lyman 57SML peep and 37ML front bead on my Trade Rifle and I don't know how I ever lived without it.
My groups tightened up considerably.
I haven't been in low light conditions with it yet so no complaints so far.
There is a slight glare in the peep when the sun is shining in your face or close to it.
I've only been using the small aperture target peep so far.
The hunting peep with large aperture would probably work better in extreme lighting conditions.

Huntin

Back