• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Penny Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few years back, I missed getting a penny knife or two from Wick Ellerby just as he stopped taking orders. Any suggestions for a source of a well made 18th c penny folding knife?

Avalon forge I think they have one. I’ve not used it myself but have been happy with other products from them.
Was there a good penny knife in the past? Or was it a ‘cheaply made’ back then?
C76FCA49-53CC-46A9-B0C3-3B2685D9F66B.jpeg

How about an Opinel #2 which is without the locking ring ?
Opinel #2
View attachment 38843

Obviously not as good as Wick's, but very usable and the label can be removed from the handle...,

LD

I reworked one of those many years back. Sanded the plating off the ferrule, carved the handle into a 18th. century style and then lost it when I had a heater hose fail on the road. Nice knives but the blade is only 1.25" long though that was enough to get me running again.

A thumbs up for opinel here too. Their carbon steel blade holds a great edge and sharpens quickly. Simple products to modify. Unfortunately the nail-nick in the blades will always give it away as a post mid 19th century knife.

A drop of solder in the finger groove and careful cleanup hides most of the groove. Cold blue the blade and rub it back and it should hide some of the fix.

A thumbs up for opinel here too. Their carbon steel blade holds a great edge and sharpens quickly. Simple products to modify. Unfortunately the nail-nick in the blades will always give it away as a post mid 19th century knife.

Opinel is a good knife - but is not an 18th c knife.

Well who see,s it ?. Its a pocket knife. But I see your point, I didn't subscribe to the "They would have used it if they had had it'' stance .Not sure re date of nail hick on blades interesting .
Regards Rudyard

Opinel is not a terrible substitute, and inexpensive. Sand off the name and stain it.

Yeah I posted the No. 2 because it lacks the locking ring, which is where I drew my personal "line", but of course the nail groove and the stamping of "No 2" on the bolster make it younger than 18th century, even when I modify the handle. Still at about $7.00 a copy, it isn't that "offensive to the eye", when the handle is modified and the metal stained from use.

OPINEL KNIFE NO 2.JPG

LD

Obviously, Opinels are not 18th century. But I would also ask the question, is a penny knife 18th century? I believe the answer to be no, though they are certainly acceptable by many in the "coulda woulda" department and by back dating examples from well into the 19th century. I've owned one and it was a nice little cheap knife, but I have low confidence in their historicity for the 18th century. The steel bolstered cuttoe knives, on the other hand, are ubiquitous in the archeological record for the 18th century. South Union Mills has a great repro cuttoe knife that's like under $20. It's not quite a custom from Scott Summerville, but it's the best of all the sutlers and is a steal of a price. If you're looking for a folder that is more historically accurate, the South Union Mills folder is a much better bet than a penny knife.

Back