• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Could these be modified to be used in percussion muzzleloaders? :hmm:

8caps.JPG
caps.JPG

I know the Civil War had some tape percussion primers systems used...

Yes, Dixie sells a thingy called "tap-o-cap". Page 277 of current catalog, for $30.25. Uses toy caps and aluminum soda cans to make a #11 size cap. Been thinking about it but havent decided. Only caps I use are on a revolver. Rest of my shooting is flint.

I tried them on an Adam's which didn't have quite enough hammer to light a copper cap. They go bang but they don't light powder. I think they tend to blow sideways rather than forwards. Ended up putting a bump on the hammer to focus the blow and light a copper cap, then I found the forcing cone was defunct :(

Could these be modified to be used in percussion muzzleloaders? :hmm:

8caps.JPG
caps.JPG

I know the Civil War had some tape percussion primers systems used...

my goodness paper caps....i haven't seen them in a long time....used to take a hammer and light the whole roll off at once.................bob

bob1961
50 years ago(oh my God) when i was 9 it
was as close as i was aloud to get to
a firecracker.
snake-eyes :peace: :)

I've done the same thing. I used a 2 lb. sledge and laid them on the well casing. It'd make a BIG bang. Scared the #%@* out of my Dad once. Got in a bit of trouble for that one. :cry: It never stopped me though. :thumbsup:

One time, many moons ago, I had just finished a new single shot pistol and I wanted to protect the newly finished nipple area so I wrapped it in Scotch tape before popping a cap. The first cap blew away all the Scotch tape. I quickly realized why leather was used. In any event a percussion cap is a lot more powerful than some folks think. About a week or so back there was a thread about combustible paper cartridges and whether the back of the paper should be torn open to help ignition. RIDICULOUS! You can use the thin foil used to wrap candies and a percussion cap will usually blow it apart and fire the round. What's the point? Don't view percussion caps like the paper roll of caps you used as a kid, real different. :)

They sure bring back memories . I liked the plastic cylinder caps best , load'em just like a real revolver , louder than paper caps , too . Unfortunetly they were also more expensive . Try taping a paper cap to your frizzen , might improve ignition :: . Did you know that if you shoot a white tipped "strike anywhere" match out of your Daisy 1894 Winchester air rifle at your bedroom wall it will sound like a cap (kids , don't try this , you might also set the house on fire ::) . I suspected you guys might have been pyromaniacs when you were kids :crackup: .

Are you asking questions that you already know the answer to again?

I tried the plastic ones once upon a time after seeing another guy use them in a match. Didn't find them too reliable, but I did get a bang out of them occaisionally. (Couldn't resist that one.)

Does anyone remember the "Green Stickum Caps"? They seemed to be more powerful than the rolls and had adhecive on one side to stick on a cartridge that had a plastic bullet. Parents got me a pair of pistols that fired them for christmas one year.

IronMan

Egad!. I recall stopping by the classroom that served as the after school detention center back in 1963. One of my friends was sitting there in stir.
" What're you in for?"
" Heh! Heh! I stuck a greenie stickem cap on the bottom of my chair leg and sat down real hard."

I used them in the tap o cap and they work, I usually buy a mess of the real caps, when I run out I use the home made ones till I can stock up again.

It's bizarre that you asked this question when you did, because two days ago I picked up a copy of a "Black Powder Gun Digest" which I believe is the 1972 or '73 edition and there is an article in it about a breach loading black powder rifle that used paper roll caps. It had a "turret breech" so that apparently it could be loaded by hand, but it does have a ramrod. It came in .22, .36, &.44 calibers. These were produced by Rocky Mountain Arms Corp. and Esopus Gun Works. The guns were designed by Dick Casull.

I was gonna post something here asking if anyone had ever seen one of these.

Does anyone remember the "Green Stickum Caps"? They seemed to be more powerful than the rolls and had adhecive on one side to stick on a cartridge that had a plastic bullet. Parents got me a pair of pistols that fired them for christmas one year.

IronMan

:D
roll_caps.jpg

IronMan

:D
roll_caps.jpg

*LOL* yep thats them. :haha:

Greetings Flash- in -the-Pan and All,

During the Civil War, some of the Springfield Rifled- muskets were manufactured with a feature called a Maynard Tape Primer Feed. It held a roll of caps that looked a lot like toy gun caps.

Original muskets with this feature are very high dollar collector items.

Best regards, John L. Hinnant

During the Civil War, some of the Springfield Rifled- muskets were manufactured with a feature called a Maynard Tape Primer Feed. It held a roll of caps that looked a lot like toy gun caps.

55hfrm105axn.jpg

The way the toy makers have gone "PC" (that's politically correct, not period correct ::), I think you would have an easier time finding regular percussion caps than toy caps. At any rate, those pics sure do bring back memories. Anyone remember the toy rockets you used to put the caps in, and they would detonate when they hit the sidewalk?

Anyone remember the toy rockets you used to put the caps in, and they would detonate when they hit the sidewalk?

or your little brother???? :crackup: or the visiting cousin from the city when you dropped it behind his back??? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: I got into SOOOOO much trouble over that one.

"Or your little brother?"

You call that being in trouble???!!! When the neighbor came home from 2 weeks ADT with the Army Reserve when I was a kid, I got in trouble for tossing a dummy grenade he brought me at my kid brother. Dad, a Korean War-era veteran, didn't take too kindly to that. Dang, my Butt still hurts as I type and remember this!!

Back