• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Musket. Need help.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have another old gun that I picked up for £100 like my other gun and I don't know much about this one either. It came from the same load as my other one from India and was used in the Indian Mutiny by Sepoys, I think. It looks kind of like an 1853 Enfield but there are differences and couldn't find any information on what the gun really is.

The gun has a few markings. One of them is on the top of the barrel near the breech and looks like, ''298''. Barrel manufacture number? I don't know. The other marking is on the left side of the barrel near the breech that says, ''B.K(A)DA-366-52''. There may be a bit missing because it is next to a barrel band and could be covered up. They could be regimental markings but I don't know. There don't seem to be any other markings that I can see but there could be some that show if the gun is taken apart. The barrel seems to be smoothbore and measures at around 37 inches including tang. It has 4 barrel bands. 3 of which are iron and the other 1 is brass and looks irregular and doesn't look like it was part of the original gun. It has a cut groove where a simple sight would have been placed. One sling swivel is present on one of the barrel bands and a hole for another is on the trigger guard. The ramrod is about 34 1/2 inches long.

The gun overall is about 51 inches long. The butt is bras with no markings on it. The stock is very interesting because firstly, there is a hollow bit near the butt that seems to have something inside it but I would no do something stupid like axe it out to see if I am right. Secondly there are strange Indian looking carvings on the stock and around the lock area and screw-port area opposite. They are visible in the photos. If you can't see them I can describe: the markings near the breech area are zig-zags while the ones on the stock look like some kind of ancient Indian symbols or something like that.

The lock is typical percussion and is 6 inches long. It doesn't work due to trigger being rusted and the fact that it's been in storage for about 150 years.

I apologise for the long description but I do hope it helps. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

zl6pw9.jpg
[/img]
2l9pkrb.jpg
[/img]
17wmc9.jpg
[/img]
opd54y.jpg
[/img]
21eukiu.jpg
[/img]
mrstw1.jpg
[/img]
k21fo2.jpg
[/img]
2hz095t.jpg
[/img]
dosxeb.jpg
[/img]
ev8klj.jpg
[/img]
2iapmh5.jpg
[/img]
im33bp.jpg
[/img]
ml5dfs.jpg
[/img]
2079xe0.jpg
[/img]
30j61lk.jpg
[/img]
a3e7a0.jpg
[/img]
33bhm3b.jpg
[/img]
10mvsaw.jpg
[/img]
n4k1tl.jpg
[/img]
zinlat.jpg
[/img]
16adyso.jpg
[/img]

Curiously the hole in the trigger guard on an Enfield holds a chain which stops you losing the nipple protector. The sling swivel screws in to the stock.

Those are repairs on the butt. They put in pieces of wood to repair damage done at some time in the past. Do not try to remove then as you will cause a great deal of damage if you do.

Mate, looks to me it is a gun made up by native craftsman, using a few old parts, don't think the stock is original. Amazing local talent.

cheers

Heelerau

Do not know any thing about the gun. Just think it's a good looking gun. Great find enjoy.

I really don't know anything about this particular rifle. I think that with a little careful work, it can be made operational again. However, I would not attempt to shoot it until it has been examined by a competent gunsmith and decalerd to be safe to shoot.

If you feel that you can, and wish to, you can carefully disassemble the metal parts from the stock. Then put the rusted trigger in a 50/50 mixture of automobile automatic transmission fluid and acetone. This is an excellent penetrating oil concoction and will loosen rust. After soaking the rusted trigger in the mixture for a day or so, you can carefully attempt to work it loose. If it doesn't want to move, just put it back and continue soaking. Any other parts that have rusted to the point of being frozen or non-working can also be treated with the mixture to loosen the rust. Once everything is working again, you can reassemble the rifle and do what you will with your once again working rifle. I would recommend using Renaissance Wax on the stock to bring it back but I do not recommend any heavy cleaning on the stock. Too much cleaning will lessen its collector value. Preservation is all you want to do.

I'll try that. i apreciate the advice. but I've tried many times to take the gun apart but the barrel bands won't come off and the screws are either worn down to the point you can't use a screwdriver or has rusted and cannot be moved. what do you recommend to use to take the gun apart safely?

Since the screws are near wood, it will be hard to use heat to break them loose. If you carefully apply a soldering iron to the metal into which the screw is screwed and then apply ice to the screw, it might break loose. Applying the acetone/ automatic transmission fluid will be hard because you don't want it to get on the wood. It would be best if ask this question of MD on this forum. Just go to his profile and send him a private message with your questions. He is a pretty good muzzleloading gunsmith and can help you with these questions.

If you don't know how to find his profile, just go to the "members" tab and then type in MD and hit search.

Yep, thats what we call a "HPD" here in Sweden, or a "Random-Parts" Rifle.

:idunno: In Sweden, you are much too polite. Junk. At £100, much too expensive. It is, of course from India and the breech markings applied sometime within the last 50 years are modern Indian government registration markings.

Well, the worth of it here in Sweden would be around 150-200 SEK (20 bucks i think?)amongst dealers and collectors, and prob be either used for parts to other rifles, or just hanged on the wall.

2079xe0.jpg

I may be wrong but those stampings and the patina look very recent, like maybe the whole thing has been faked.
India Repro enhanced :idunno:

I see your point but

The 4th Musketeer said:
I picked up for £100

I would think £100 is not much money to buy a new gun and make it a fake

Alexander

How long have repros been made, 50 years?? How about parts guns for the Africa trade?

To me it looks very 20th Century. The patina is just not right, at least to my eyes.

K on the barrel? Is that for a proof test result specifying the kilograms per square whatever?

Back