• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion to flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a cva bobcat 50 cal caplock to a flintlock? I want a flinter, but I wanna see if I like 'em first. I can always buy one and convert my bobcat back to caps...
I really like the kentucky or pensylvania flintlocks, but i'm gonna have to save for one. I don't wanna save all that money, then realize I don't like it...lol

Trust me, you'll like it. When I got my caplock, I thought I liked shooting it. I went through a pound of powder in the first three months.

Now that I have my flintlock, I use up a pound a month, more or less.

I don't know if there are any Flintlocks that fit a Bobcat.
Will it accept one of the CVA locks without a lot of work?

After removing the drum, if it is like some of the other CVA's that would leave a very large cavity in the side of the breech plug (assuming it has the CVA Patent breech).

Does CVA or anyone else make a vent liner that would screw into the hole left by removing the drum? I know the vent liners I've seen are all Unified National thread and they won't fit a metric threaded hole.

Anyone out there with a Bobcat that has explored the Bobcats breech to find the answers to these questions?

By the way Blackpowder Injun, these questions are not aimed at you. I am asking the other members.

Any information about my questions would be appreciated.

As for my thoughts on this, a person can sink a lot of money in buying a new lock not to mention the possible problems involved in removing drums and installing vent liners.
While this may be acceptable on an expensive gun one needs to ask themselves if it is worth sinking a lot of money in a relatively (very) inexpensive gun or, would it be a better idea to look around for a used flintlock?

your right Zonie, I might just leave my bobcat the way it is, and grab up a decent kentucky or pensylvania when I save up the money. If it's as much fun as everybody says, I'll love it...;)

Hey BP Injun,
You can pick up a Lyman GPR flint for about $300 used, shoot it, play with it and sell it for $300
Not a bad deal!
But most likely, you will keep it. The rifle is awesome.
My 2 cents worth ( Canadian)
Old Ford

Your best choice would be to look for a used CVA/Traditions Kentucky rifle in flint (these can usually be found for less than $200).

The answer to your question though is yes, but it is irreversable. You must do this the way CVA/Traditions does it at the factory when making a flint rifle.
First the drum is installed in the barrel (making it percussion),then the drum is milled off flush with the barrel.
Next you drill & tap the bolster for the touch hole liner and install the flint lock. (CVA percussion and flint locks use the same base lock plate so this part of the operation is just a drop-in procedure)

Caution: Once the flint bug has bitten this also is irreversable. You may never pick up a cap gun again. :surrender: :rotf: :surrender:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I have a CVA "Kentucky" kit I converted to flint, more or less as Toomuch described, except I used a TC lock, since I happened to have one lying about. It wasnt too difficult, and it made my introduction to flint ignition a valuable learning experience as well as a pleasure.

Back