• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period correct calls/decoys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine that any decoys prior to the 19th century would be very crude waterfowl decoys maybe made on the spot with mud and straw.
Much higher game concentrations than we see now would be the rule and decoys might not have been very necessary.

These are definitely pre-Rev. War, :grin: but I challenge you to find a neater one. :haha:
http://nmai.si.edu/exhibitions/infinityofnations/california-greatbasin/134512.html

I have references to hunters making turkey sounds while hunting, of Daniel Morgan using a "turkey call" to assemble his troops, of quail calls for sale in the 1770s and of Indians calling like turkeys to lure settlers into ambush, but have never found one to a physical call or decoy. I hope you find one, I've been looking.

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely an interesting find there Spence.

But I'm having trouble understanding the side box of info...seems to suggests they're dated in the range of 400BC - 100AD...but found in a cave in Nevada ??? What am I missing ?

You got it right, Roundball. I guess you can say they are archaeologic artifacts, well preserved in the cave.

Spence

Possibly near 2500 years old and the feathers still look like new...to be honest, it's actually kind of hard (for me) to believe

Lovelock Cave is a well-known site, and conditions there are apparently special in the archaeologic sense, so that organic material is preserved. It's legit.

Spence

Roundball said:
Possibly near 2500 years old and the feathers still look like new...to be honest, it's actually kind of hard (for me) to believe

That desert air (and protection from sun and rain in a cave) does amazing things. I've spent time in cliff dwellings, and seen 1,000 year old grass matting and once remains of some arrow shafts with the fletching still intact. Looked like they were made in recent times. The pigments from their painting on the walls looked like it was done the day before.

BTW- Track down the couple of books on Ishi, the Northern California Indian who came out of the hills, the last survivor of his tribe, and spent his final years living at a museum.... Berkeley I believe. He went on making stuff, and even took the anthro's back up into the hills on a trip or two. I don't remember lots of stuff, but I clearly recall the doe head and neck he tanned and stuff with something, then used as a decoy to lure deer closer.

Neat, neat books for anyone with an interest. I'm not at home, so I can't give you the zact titles or any of that good stuff, but a google of Ishi should set you on the path.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it shows that even back then canvasbacks were the best-tasting ducks. Hunters wanted them as bad as they do now.

Thanks for the link. :hatsoff:

Track down the couple of books on Ishi, the Northern California Indian who came out of the hills, the last survivor of his tribe, and spent his final years living at a museum.... Berkeley I believe. He went on making stuff, and even took the anthro's back up into the hills on a trip or two.

I seem to recall a movie based on his life.

Dr. Saxton Pope of "Pope & Young" fame was his mentor. They went hunting around Mt. Lassen, a volcano in northern Calif., and it erupted during their hunt. It was close to Ishi's old stomping grounds.

My dad could call turkeys with a blade of grass, I've also heard old timers that can call turkeys and crows with their mouth...

Back