• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period Gardening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sein as how we all seem to have a BIT of the D.I.Y. bug how many of you are into "period gardening" ??? I am going back to it this spring, gonna plant 'Punche'Tobacco, 'painted Mtn.'Corn, 'SouthWest'Squash, 'Jacobs Cattle'Beans, and 'Italian Frying' Peppers... My daughter & Son in law are doing the same kind of beans , 'Relleno'peppers,'Aztec' Corn,and 'Navaho'Pumpkins.. What is on YOUR list ??? :)

This year WE(me) are going to raise aztec blue corn, brandywine tomatos, chile tepins, and probably every other heirloom variety of veggie I can find. Is it just me or do these old time varieties taste better. :hmm:

I don't know if if is "period" gardening or not, but this year I intend to plant my garden the way the early Native Americans did....corn, beans, and squash together in a hill. Supposedly there is some type of symbiotic relationship between the three that cause them to grow better than if grown seperately. This will be the first year I've tried it, so we shall see. I'm not a big squash fan, so I will see about substituting something else, like melons or cukes.
Now, if I can just keep those dang squirrels out of the corn................... :curse:

The way I understand the relationship, it works like this. The corn grows up providing a "stake" for the beans to climb and the large leaves of the squash provide shade and prevent dehydration of the roots.

Cheers, Bill

I always plant heirloom varities of veggies, I am gonna try Hopi corn this year. I also have a large area of medicenal herbs and a few used in cooking. I just got a seed catalog in the mail and I've been peruzin it several times a day. By the time I can actually plant my garden in late April, early May the catalog will be in tatters.

Personally I don't cae for squash 'as is' but when dried, it makes a great 'filler/thickener' in soups and stews,and the wife makes KILLER squash bread...tastes like pumpkin pie.. :thumbsup: You might try growin GOURDS I see a lot of interest in them here... :redthumb:

Back