• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

permethrin and dogs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
After a couple very good discussions here about ticks and permethrin, I thought I'd include a question here in my current research into the stuff.
I've been using permethrin on my hunting clothes for years with great success. I went pheasant hunting Monday with my Dad and his Brittany and we tried a new area bordering my best archery deer area along the Farmington River. His Brittany, Truro, did great on birds, but came back covered in ticks worse than I've ever seen. Still picking them off today. He wears one of those fancy high dollar collars that is supposed to kill any ticks that he picks up, but it didn't seem to work so well this time. While hunting he wears a hunter orange belly protector that covers his chest, under carriage, and partway up his sides. Is it safe to apply permethrin to this "clothing?"

I agree with Tenngun that it would be wise to check with the Vet that knows the dog. But that said, I know several guys that literally dowse the dog's outside kennel with permethrin, beds in the doghouse and all...and they report good results.

Personally, I use NexGuard, which is a pill that kills both fleas and ticks. The advantage with NexGuard is that the ticks don't stay buried when they bite. Since it's a neurotoxin, literally as soon as they bite they back out, start quivering, and die, falling off. That way they never get a chance to really stick on nor stay on long enough to transmit tick-borne illnesses to the dog.

They are pricey...fortunately my daughter is in a Vet Hospital, so I get a substantial discount. But I found excellent results only giving the pills every 6 weeks instead of every month, which also stretches them out. Same maker as Frontline, which is the best topical to use as it's waterproof where many others are not.

I have heard it is extremely lethal to cats. So if Mr. Cuddles curls up in the laundry basket with your hunting duds he may not uncurl.

Don't need to know whether you care or not - just passing the information along.

I believe dogs are OK but not puppies under a year. That's one reason why you see products marked "for dogs only".

I too live in CT, and the ticks are bad this year. For the past 2 years, I have been giving my Lab garlic pills from Spring Time. I have had great results with it. Any ticks I find on my dog are scrambling to get off her. Have not found a single one attached to her. Find more ticks on me than on her.

I love Brittanies and almost lost my best one by applying a "recommended" tick medication.

As stated, anti-vermin medications can affect some breeds and some individual dogs differently.

Save the dog and pick them off or use a vet-recommended oral medication. I use Comfortis (very expensive) for my Boykin spaniel and it works on fleas and ticks to a lesser degree. I used the tick collars (Preventic) from the vet and they are a waste of money. :td:

Thanks all. I am going to try the permethrin on his "vest"/belly protector. Info from CDC and a few veterinary and hunting dog websites suggests permethrin is fine for dogs unless ingested. We looked into Nexguard but there are too many complaints about too many bad side effects. We did take him to the Vet to check out the few we could not remove that had a lot of redness around them. The Vet confirmed that they were dead and the redness was from our efforts to remove them. Sure enough they just dropped out last night. My dad found a "bug spray" meant for dogs he wants to try so that's on order. Next is to find a spray or powder to treat his yard as it seems some are being picked up at home.

Brokennock said:
Next is to find a spray or powder to treat his yard as it seems some are being picked up at home.

I use Diotomaceous Earth in my yard. It is a non-toxic powder that does a great job of killing insects, but try to not get it in your eyes cause it will irritate them pretty bad. My chicken coop gets an extra dose, thrown in with the hay in the nesting boxes, and I have even put the stuff on me and my dogs directly on skin. A little goes a long way, and the stuff is the consistency of flour, so a bit messy. My garden/farm supply places around here sell it in 40# bags usually for around $30, and a bag usually lasts a year or more for my yard, with an application every 3-4 months, plus a scoop on top of any fire ant mound that happens to pop up.

Back