• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Persistence.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ive had a great hunting season. But i almost ruined the ending. Doing a push with two friends and my dad i had deer go into thick brush abead of me.

I threw rocks and sticks to chase them out. Four ran out and one stopped quartering away. I took the shot offhand. It felt good and i saw it buck up and come down on a shattered shoulder. It went sixty yards and laid down. I thought it was over. Then my fiend jumped it by accident as he pushed.

Off it ran.

We gave it some time and the. Tracked it over 400 yards. No dice. Blood looked bad. Then it dissapeared. Dark and rain coming. Had to leave it overnight knowing it wasnt dead yet.

Got right back to it in the morning. I had bulldozing to do where i lost it so in i went. (On my farm) Blazing trails and looking for a body while my dad waited at the end to shoot it if it ran out. No dice

Back at the house i thought about where it could be. Only one place came to mind so i loaded up my rocklock and took a walk.

I zigged and zagged as i still hunted covering the six acre woodlot. I was on my last pass. I had given up hope. I just plodded along the last fifty yards of woods dejected. And then ten yards away there was suddenly a deer standing broadside holding its weight oddly.
I thumbed the cock back as i threw the gun to shoulder saw my sight for a heartbeat and yanked the trigger.
I saw blood appear instantly right behind the shoulder. It ran around some brush and crashed thirty yards away. I reloaded and walked up to it hoping to find that it was my deer. And indeed there was a second hole too far forward in the shoulder. I was beyond elated and relieved. It was better than shooting a ten pointer. I said my apologies and my thank yous. Never giving up got me this deer. Nothing else
Sooooo excited !

Way to stick with it! I could click the pic and tried to post it, but couldn't. Nice deer.

Thanks gents.

Ive been reading just not posting. Always look forward to your hunt stories britsmoothie. If i get some decent cold the fowler me and the dog will chase pheasants again. Went once in october and between us had about 60 ticks :(

Glad for you as I know how it feels when you know you hit one and can't find it. You just proved the point that sticking with it usually ends up with a good ending.

Thanks guys. Yes its a three point. I thought it was a doe actually. But im glad to have taken him. We shoot anything under four points and monsters on the farm and are seeing results. Pretty neat actually.

Back