• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pest eradication

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwiliff

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For the past two weeks I have been reducing the jack rabbit population that has been tearing up the garden. Tonight I got two, bringing my total up to 11.

When the light is good enough I've been using my .45 Blue Ridge flinter with a .433 ball and 30 grains ffg Goex. As evening approaches and the light dims, I use a 20 gauge trade gun with 30 #4 buck shot and 50 grains of ffg.

Is any one else tending their garden with a flintlock?

Warmest Regards,
Robert

It's not really hunting. I just look out the door toward the gardens, if I see a jack I grab one of the guns. Most shots are at about 50 yards supported on a fence post.

Eleven down and dozens to go.

Robert

i have a pesky problem down here, its deer! the 45 tries to save my veggies but they sneak in at night and do their damage!

east texas said:
i have a pesky problem down here, its deer! the 45 tries to save my veggies but they sneak in at night and do their damage!

I'll get both deer and elk in the garden later in the year.

Say, does anyone know where to get rubber round ball?

Robert

Curiosity: What patch thickness are you using with your .433 ball in the Pedersoli?

My garden pest are tree rats, they will flat out destroy your sweet corn, what is not eaten will be damaged beyond use. I have also seen them carrying off ripe tomatoes.....................watch yer top knot...............

Robert Iliff said:
It's not really hunting. I just look out the door toward the gardens, if I see a jack I grab one of the guns. Most shots are at about 50 yards supported on a fence post.

Eleven down and dozens to go.

Robert

I'm downright impressed that your load of 30 #4 buck will reach out to 50 on something as small as a jack, but I don't doubt it in the least. I've whapped a bunch of yotes to that range using cartridge guns and #4 buck over the years, so I know it can be done. It just never occurred to me to think of it in muzzleloading terms.

Now ya got me thinkin, and that gets expensive! :rotf:

Trench said:
Curiosity: What patch thickness are you using with your .433 ball in the Pedersoli?

The patch is 10 or 12 oz denim, 12 I believe. Measured just now with dial calipers it is .020 uncompressed and .015 compressed. I starts easy without a short starter, but I do need to use my knife handle to push it in.

Robert

Number four buck has been my main load for this gun for quite some time. I used to load 20 #4 over 70 gr. ffg. I missed a few jacks at 50 yards so upped the load to 30 #4. The jacks aren't usually hit real hard, just one or two balls. Kills them dead enough. Occasionally they do get lucky.

Robert

east texas said:
Try putting posts up at the corners of your garden, then go around and around the garden with fishing line. Cheap at Walley's, it will keep the deer out.
I did this around 50 grape vines I planted, the first year the deer ate them right down to the ground. The next year, they were 5 feet tall. :thumbsup:

Sounds like using the "Natural Deer Pruning Method" is the way to go. :rotf: :rotf: Bill

Robert Iliff said:
Say, does anyone know where to get rubber round ball?

Yes, for .40 and .50cals.
Experimented with them as alternative practice balls if lead got too expensive or hard to get.
But they're a close range option only...they're so light their accuracy goes away quickly after 20-25 yards.

Capper said:
They'll bounce back and put your eye out.

Where do you come up with this stuff ???????
:shake:

No they won't "bounce back and hit you in the eye".

They are dead rubber, "no bounce" balls used in LEO training for entering buildings and clearing rooms.

Back