• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pet loads for a .50 cal A-H Mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zampilot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The Traditions brand of A-H anyway. I've fired at about 30 yards and got a 2" group with 80 grns 3fg GOEX, .490 ball and Bore Buttered/Moose Greased .015 patch. Didnt have any 2fg which is what I'll use in the woods next week. Anyone have a trustworthy load that'll be accurate to about 70 yards using 2fg GOEX? The factory sight settings are very accurate. Takes #10 caps tightly so they don't fall off instead of #11's.

Use the #11 caps. Pinch them to make them stay on a clean nipple. Once a cap is fired on the nipple, and leaves a bit of debris, you won't have to pinch subsequent caps. You won't like those "TIGHT" #10 caps when one of them sticks on the nipple, and you have to use needle nose pliers to pry it off- and those pliers are always either back in the shop, or at best, back at your car! :shocked2: :idunno: :surrender:

As for a load, you certainly should be able to shoot one hole groups at 30 yards with any good load. Try using 75 grains of 2Fg Goex behind that .490 ball, and a .015-.018" thick, greased, ticking patch. That load gave me a pass through broadside shot on an old Doe, breaking ribs going in and going out, while passing through both lungs, and an aorta, in between. You don't get "deader" than that, at 40 yds. She dressed out near 120 lbs. The exit wound was between 65 and 70 caliber.

Thanks Paul!
Those #10's came off with a flick of a finger but I'll try your advice for the #11's next week, maybe smear a bit of lube around the outside base for 'stickum' too!

Back